How common is this?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Is it very common for does to come in heat, be bred, come in heat again and allow the buck to breed, but already took on the first breeding? Or, being bred 3 times but took on the first breeding?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. shawhee

shawhee Member

Im interested in this answer. That is exactly what one of my does did. Sorry not much help, but I have three possible kidding dates on her.

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

It's a puzzle to me....
    Here I have not had any problem following heats for the last three years.
    This year I hand bred all my girls. A couple of them flirted a little on what would have been the next cycle, but did not really show signs of true heat. I'm sending blood in right after Christmas (so that I can test all at once). I'm pretty positive all are bred.
    Last year I had a young buck. I tried hand breeding and it didn't work the first time. I penned him, his doe and a doe not in heat overnight and he obviously got it worked out and bred her again in the morning while I was out there. So I'm positive he did the job. Seven days later he was again with the same two does with the second being in heat. He rebred the first as well and I was shocked when she stood for him. She kidded 151 days from the first date which is normal gestation for her.
    The first year we pasture bred two does and I just watched for the breedings and goo on the tails and it only happened once for each of them even though we left the buck in for several months following the breedings.

4. I have 3 possible kidding dates for 2 of them and two dates for 1 of them. I'm crossing my fingers they are all bred. I wish we could send in blood for testing but I just cant at this time, we're barely scraping by as it is.

5. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Amy,
    Unfortunately with you only having 3 does the possiblity that all three are bred yet still cycling is not good. There must be more to the story, are they cycling regularily? Are they seperate from the bucks? If so why not pen mate them? Are they in good condition (they look like it in the pictures of your website.). Are they standing for the buck when mated? How many times are you mating them? What else can you tell us.
    Tim

6. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

Found this:

http://kinne.net/x-estrus.htm

Found the editor's note at the bottom interesting:

[Editor's note: If a doe conceives on this "extra heat" when she is already pregnant, she can deliver two sets of kids three weeks apart. The scientific word for this is superfetation. This has been reported to occur in all farm animal species.]

I grew up on a farm. Have heard of this, but never seen it happen. Always wondered if it was a myth or not. Guess not.

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I have had a doe doe this once before. She had regular heats and was bred each time until it was obvious she was already bred. She kidded from the first breeding.
    I do not think it is common as she has been the only one in over 30 years.
    But, I have had does appear to be in heat a second time, but not want to stand for the buck.
    Les

8. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Two years ago, I had a doe that came into heat about ten days apart, I bred her both times
    When she kidded she had twins, one full term, one early fetus that did not live..
    the early fetus had no teeth.. alitte hair, was very small and weak,, it was a buck, and I put him down..the doeling I own to this day
    Barbara

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

I think that these are some nice "warm and fuzzy" thoughts but - REALLY- her having three goats and the Three goats ALL doing this? What do you really think the odds are that they are all pregnant? In all our years of breeding goats have never had one let alone our whole herd do this! Something else is going on here. Without blood tests or an ultrasound you can't just guess if a doe is bred.
    Mary

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

agree you need blood tests. Yes out of all my goats I have one that cycles every 21 days. and by not doing tests last year she remained unbred. NOT a good thing.

11. They aren't continually cycling...I haven't seen any heat cycles after the this last one that they were bred. I was just wondering if its common for them to take on the first or second one and yet come back in heat. They are all getting a belly on them so I'm wondering if they due in Feb. instead of March.

They did get bred by the buck, whether they took or not on the first or second time I dont know. Wont know till they kid, if they kid. I'd do blood tests, but right now I simply can't afford it, we are scraping by as it is, and if I have dry does in the spring, then I have dry does, I hope it doesn't come down to that but if it does it does.

Thanks for the replies.

12. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

Amy-from the article I posted, it seems quite common for a goat to have ONE heat cycle after conceiving. Probably less common to have two, but not impossible. I believe someone here posted about a doe that cycles all the way through her pregnancy. I used to do daycare and one of my 'moms' was an OB/GYN nurse. Among our conversations of the strange and unusual was a lady that had her menstrual cycle throughout pregnancy and the lady that 14 years after having tubal ligation became pregnant. When it comes to reproduction, I think that there's no such thing as 'impossible'. So maybe you will have February kids. :) Good thing you kept track of those dates.

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"[Editor's note: If a doe conceives on this "extra heat" when she is already pregnant, she can deliver two sets of kids three weeks apart. The scientific word for this is superfetation. This has been reported to occur in all farm animal species.]

I grew up on a farm. Have heard of this, but never seen it happen. Always wondered if it was a myth or not. Guess not."

We had this two years ago. Two bucks born, one 7 lb and normal in every way, the other 3 lbs, teeth not erupted, hooves not formed, very weak, clearly preterm.

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

For what it's worth, I had menstrual cycles for 5 months into my first pregnancy, and 3 months into my second. Just super efficient I guess, lol.

Tracy

15. Thanks for the replies!

I always keep track of those dates. Lol. :) Especially on the nubians since I want to be there for their kidding to raise their kids on CAE Prevention.