Houston Stock Show

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Hi Y'all
    We're entered....& can't remember where we stayed before, or even if it was good or bad :). Any suggestions?

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I don't have any suggestions because of course I stay with my parents of one of my kids when we go, but I was wondering if you could tell me the goat show schedule or give me a link. After I saw your post, I went to the HLSR site but it did something weird to my computer and I had to reboot. So I'm not being lazy, just want to know when the goat show is :sigh

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Hi Diane
    It's Mar 7-9....think the show is the 8 & 9

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Thanks...if all my does abort I can go!

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Does anyone have a link to the site? I'd like to go if it's not to late to enter.

Rett

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

http://www.rodeohouston.com/

Entries closed pretty early- you may be able to late enter, but i think that's pretty expensive

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Hi Rett
    I found it on the website- entries closed Jan 5, but they do accept late entries with a $25 per head late fee until Feb 15...since it's $20 a goat to enter, that'd make entries $45 a head. It is a fun show

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I couldn't find a link to the dairy goat show. But here is a link to the BBQ cook off. unfortunnately, it is a bit before the goat show. My ex-BIL has a team that wins or places every year. It is great fun out there at the cook off. If anyone gets a chance to be there, don't miss it!

http://www.rodeohouston.com/et/bbqc/bbqc_index.aspx

9. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Ok Rhett if you go , you have to come here!! LOL :crazy
    Karen

10. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Well.. at $45 a head.. I'd better have some pretty darn good girls eh?
    Sheez Lousie.. even $25 a head is a lot. Now I remember why I haven't entered that show before. :pigsfly

Karen.. you can bet if I do head that way... I'd head on over to ya place!!

Rett

11. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Yup, and when we first started I thought that the entry fee was $50 a head! I fought going to this show for 2 1/2+ years. Until mom and dad MADE me look up the prices and they were a more reasonable then I had thought they would be. Now all I need to do is pray that I win first in every class I walk into and I can pay off going and get a jacket. :lol

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And the premiums suck, none of the days anymore where you could go to the show and have your wins pay for all your enteries, your gas and your kids going to the huge carnival and the concerts! It is a great place to go, I love shopping there :) Vicki

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Well, since we go every year, anyway, might as well go and show, right?

14. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

No way I would pay $45 entry fee unless the return was great. Even $25 is high.. the most the local shows here charge is around $10. The spring shows don't pay premiums.. soooo
    Can you imagine what the trip would be carrying at least a milker in each class and a handful of kids????
    The gas to get there, food, all that jazz... like I said.. when :pigsfly .

Would be a nice show though.. and don't get me wrong.. I would go.. regardless of the entry fee if it was not in the waaaaaaaaaaay west forty!!!

Just so you know.. your all welcome to head on over to Baton Rouge.. there's a Quad show there.. Memorial Day weekend. (weekend before Memorial Day) Real nice show..and great host.
    I'll post the exact date, judges.. etc when I get them.

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin OK, I've got a question.....How many of you are gonna actually have goats ready to show by that weekend.? I'll almost betcha that a bunch of us have doe's due to kid along about then....I do. This would be bad timing for me even if I could go.

16. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Hi peeps, can yall believe I'm awake this early. I've been up for over an 1 1/2 hours, in training for AM milking.

Yes, this show is kind of bad timing for dairy goat people. Being a former Houstonian and growing up there, we went to the Rodeo and Livestock show at least once every year, forever. Being cattle folks, we would hang out in the cattle section. I would go with my dad and we would dream of some day owning Simmentals. They had just been imported or whatever to the US and were so awesome. I did see a few dairy goat shows too and later in life purchased a Saanen buckling from a doe that won her class or was champion or something, it's been too long to remember.

I also made a point to try to catch the donkey and mule show. They would have donkey western pleasure, dressage for Arabian mules and jumping for Thoroughbred mules, etc on and on.

There is so much going on all at once though that you can't catch it all, you have to really study the schedule and find what you like.

17. Katarina

Katarina New Member

WE have 2/3 of a herd kidding in the first 1/2 of February so that we could show in this show. Not to mention that is when they went into heat and it is great timing for our family, so we Can be settled into the milking routine before mom has her baby. :D

18. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I do.....I have several due to freshen in Feb that I bred to show at the stock show :)....last year my kids won Grand Champion Jr & Sr Nigerian Dwarf, Grand Champion Jr LaMancha & best Jr doe in show in the youth show....both kids got nice jackets & won enough to cover entries. Obviously we had a good time :)....so planned for it this year.

19. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We went every year traditionally waaaaay before the thought of ever moving to the country was, well, was ever even a thought LOL. We usually skipped the rodeo but always hit the livestock show. Always. So while dd Katie always moaned and groaned about the entry fees, there was no WAY her dad was not gonna want us to show at Houston once we actually had animals...they could be lousy animals and he would still insist.

I just dont want to be embarrassed there.

20. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Wow, Pam, that is great! How nice for your kids especially!

LeeAnne, if you do well, they are YOUR goats...if your do poorly, then you are just the "handler" :D