Horse wormers for goats?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hello everyone,
    I was reading another post about worming, and saw that such things as safeguard, pancur, etc. are frequently used for goats. I have horses and a couple of them are small and do not get the full tube, plus they are inexpensive and I am more familiar with them than cattle wormers, PLUS, they are MUCH easier for me to administer due to the pasty, and sometimes flavored nature of them. Does anyone here use them on a regular basis? And if so, do you follow the weight recommendations and then 3X it?

Looking to simplify my farming chores.

Thanks thanks ever so much.
    Anita

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I ocassionally use horse wormers...BUT, and big but here...make sure you read the mg/cc or mg/ml and get the correct amount. There's not a horse wormer available that you can overdose with but why use more than they need?
    JMO
    Kaye

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Can you not overdoes with Quest (Moxidectin) It is one of the few horse wormers that you have to KNOW the weight of your horse as you can kill a horse with it. Is it not the same with goats???

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ok...I stand corrected on that statement...DO NOT GIVE A GOAT A WHOLE TUBE OF QUEST.
    Though it does have a high safety margin...or you wouldn't buy it over the counter without a Vet Rx and directions.
    Kaye

5. Anita Martin

That's great!! I have never used Quest...just not comfortable with it. I have such a hard time getting all of the ivermectin for cattle in the goats....much of it gets all over me. The pastes seem so much easier and more effective if I can get it all in. thanks!
    Anita

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Kaye, so can you overdose with Quest?? I know doses are higher for goats than others with most things, so I wondered if Quest offers the same worry for goats it does with horses. Obviously you wouldn't give a ND or other Mini a couple tubes or anything like that! Also I know you don't give Quest to bred mares (birth defects, etc) or young horses...so I would assume it is a no-go for bred does and kids also...right?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sarah, what I think you will find across species is that there is a whole lot of heresay and very little fact. And some problems with Quest in horses doesn't relate to problems in goats and vice versa. We are talking single stomached animals vs ruminants.

Will overdosing of anything kill the goat from the drug? Not likely, but it can damage the liver which then kills the goat over time.

Of course if you gave a whole tube of anything to any animal that wasn't supposed to have it, you would cause some kind of harm. Why you know dosages, don't guess and when you listen to heresay make sure you know some facts along with it.

In all things it's soo much better to listen to someone with stock you admire. Vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Well...that's a new one on me. I better tell my horse vet that has us use Quest on our broodmares in Oct. and Dec. just before foaling. MYTH. With any wormer given to a VERY WORMY or bot ridden horse it can cause major problems from the parasite kill. Ulcers and colic being the main two. Reason most debilitated horses are started on a wormer program with a mild wormer(fenbendazole~Power pack) and then wormed again with the stronger wormers after the burden has been relieved some.

The GOAT dose for Quest is in Goats 101. At the recommened mg/kg converted to cc/#'s.
    Kaye

9. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I used Quest when I got my very first Dairy goats with real good results. Didn't harm them at all.

Tamera

10. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I stand corrected on the bred mare issue, went and looked at Fort Dodge (only concern is suckling foals...says safe for breeding mares, stallions, and horses 6 months an older) Must have just had an overly weary (or uninformed) vet the first time I mentioned Quest to him. I normally always contact anyone I know that I think uses a product and do a little research when I get info like that from a vet, but for some reason never did with Quest, probably since I never bought and now won't use it (whole different story)

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

The only negative I've heard with quest is that it is easy to overdose horses. You are supposed to dose it right, and people have run into trouble.

12. Anita Martin

With Quest I belive that it can be harmful for horses with a low body weight because it is slow release, and it settles in fat cells and then somehow releases slowly. Evidently with a thin horse with little body fat, they don't get the slow release effect and it can be toxic for them. That is one reason I would be hesitant to use it in dairy animals as most of them, especially milkers, don't seem to have any extra body fat.

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Isn't Quest the same drug as Cydectin? Moxidectin I believe?

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, but 4 times stronger. Reason for the lower doses.
    Kaye