Horns growing back?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Gunnie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

If a goat has been disbudded, can they grow back? If so what do I do? I dont want a goat with horns. :sigh

I hope you can get a good look from the pictures if its a horn trying to grow back or if maybe it was bumped. Its not bleeding just red and sore looking. What can I put on it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little bugger wouldnt hold still for me.

2. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Hi,
    It could be a partial horn growing back in (scurs) but It looks like he has just been head butting with another goat. If it is not open I would not put anything on it I would just keep a eye on it. If it is a scur coming in it can be disbuded again, If you do a search on this site I am pretty sure I read on someone else that had to re-burn one. I have a 2 year old La Mancha wether that loves to but heads with anyone he can get too play and gets pretty red every once in a while.
    Clay

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Fural, if you aren't using Fural for something you are using chlorhexideen :)

Looks like who ever disbudded didn't pop off his cap, so the very center of his horn is growing, which becomes a really good weapon for other kids during head butting. You can eaisly burn this down with the side of your disbudder, then spray with furox. Shave the head so you can really see what is what. Vicki

4. donna

donna Member

Ok, I keep reading about chlorhexideen. Just what is this and where can I get it? Sorry if I am the only one that doesn't know.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can get it from your vet or jeffers. It's an excellent disenfectant. With staph dermatitis you can use it straight sprayed onto the udder, it has this lotiony none drying feel to it, yet it isn't a petroleum salvy balm that traps moisture. I wash my does down with it after shows, wash puppies with it, I used to wash kids out of CAE dams back in the day (I am not really sure what good it did :) It's an excellent prewash for udders and is soothing after being shaved, and mixed makes a really nice teat dip that is non drying. It's the perfect thing to clean sores of any kind with and keeping wounds with stitches or staples cleaned and disenfected, but doesn't hurt or make the edges of the wound dry and crusty.

I keep mine in a spray bottle, one straight and one about a quart of water with 3 tablespoons of Chlorhexideen in it. Vicki

6. donna

donna Member

Thank you, Vickie. Is the name of it "chlorhexideen"? It sounds like a good "all around" thing to keep on hand.