Horn regrowing (scurs) after disbudding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

One of the Mini-Mancha doelings I purchased three weeks ago (Rapunzel is approx 4 months old) seems to be growing a horn back, and possibly both. They are just starting to appear above the hair and are no more than 1/4 - 3/8 inch above the skull. Should I disbud again, over the top of the scurs?

If I need to disbud again, do all disbudding irons work the same or are there some I should avoid?

Thanks for your help!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes and the sooner the better. I am not good at advising on irons and which is best

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks Sondra!

Can anyone else reccoment an iron? Do they all tend to work the same?

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Rhinehart x50..love mine!

5. Truly

Truly New Member

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have the Rhinehart x 50A and also got different tips from Hoeggers . With my Nigis its too big but with the nigi tip its good and also got the buck tip and this way I can use it for goats or calves. I have had really good luck and if they do throw a scur this will get it without the extra tip.
    Kathy

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I also use the Rhinehart X50, the goat tip for young kids and the regular end for older kids and calves.

8. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

That Dual Dehorner would do the job.
    I use my X50 with a buck tip that I use on Boer buck kids and works good on the older diary kids with scurs.
    Fran

9. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I have both the dual iron and the X50. Both do a good job. I prefer the the X50 because the dual iron has no stand and the X50 has a wire ring around it and you can lay it down. I have a milk scale over my table and I hang it there on the bucket hook in between kids. The X50 you come straight down (vertically) and it is easier to use as the dual iron is applied sideways (horizontal).

The dual iron though will get very hot and do an excellent job as will the X50. Be sure and wear leather gloves when disbudding or you will brand yourself! The advantage of the dual iron is that you can burn bigger horns. However, it is not advisable to wait that long to have to use it. You can brain damage a kid from the heat. However, by giving that word of caution most people will not burn long enough to do the job.