horn banding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Dec 11, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Almost 2 years ago, we banded the horns on a Nubian Boer cross doe, and a Boer doe, thanks to the info. we recieved about a website, on this forum about horn banding.. Within 5 months, 3 horns fell off nicely. The other one (on the Nubian/Boer, did not.) We re-filed, re-banded, again and again, etc, many many, MANY times. That horn was just stubborn. We ended up with a large dent about an inch up from the base of the horn, but the horn was still there, and very effective. When she lifted a doe kid up into the air by the eye-socket last summer, we KNEW that removing that horn was a necessity in our herd, as all of the others are hornless. (Believe it or not, our Emmy-Lou was just fine! PHEW! We definately dodged a bullet there... )

We knew that we had a choice... either sell this lovely, one-horned doe, or remove the horn... We chose to keep her, and to remove the horn...
    We were waiting until fly season was finished before removing it. Then, other things came up............and so we did not get to it when planned.

We decided to saw the horn off today. We were very prepared. We had the dehorner plugged in to help stop any bleeding,... we had gauze, super-glue, and duct tape ready for covering the hole. We gave her Banamine first thing this morning. We had a shot of Pen G ready for her....... We had a pen ready for her to recover in... etc. Anyway. we were totally prepared for whatever might happen. What actually DID happen, was a VERY pleasant surprise!

We loaded this almost 3 yr old up onto the milkstand...and as I held her head, Chuck used the wire saw, and that horn was off in under 10 seconds! Murphy immedietaly went back to eating her pellets, and we were dumbfounded! There was only one small drop of blood!

She was FINE! And so, we sprayed the nub with Furall, and released her back into the herd right away! I am thinking that the repeated banding, pretty much killed the horn tissue a long time ago... there is no hole, no nothing, and all is GREAT! We are very much relieved, as I remember having scurs removed from a buck 20 years ago, and it was a bloody mess that cost $200.00!
    I am happy to report that within an hour of her horn removal, she was happily butting heads with our Ashleigh Banfield! This could not have gone any better than it did! Thanks again for all of the help here on this wonderful forum, and I am now SO HAPPY to report, that we now... FINALLY, have a completely hornless herd! Pretty cool eh? Thanks again!

2. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

We are VERY happy! Things like this eat at my mind alot.,,, so much so, that I can't sleep at times... but I do not realize why at the time... I am ready to have a party tonight! lol... (exhales a HUGE sigh of relief!)

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I am happy that everything worked out for you !! I like banding but nothing is better than disbudding right the first time , I have Boer's that I just cant risk a blotch banding on some of my goat's due to grown big wide horns and I have seen some that I think banding would not work and be impossible due to the horn growth on the goat skull..... but still banding is great and sure saves $$ and is mostly bloodless :):

4. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

I'm glad you shared this and I'm glad it worked out so wonderfully. We have a sweet little doe that we got as a baby. Apparently the original owner didn't hold the burner on long enough on one side because that horn grew. We have been thinking about banding it, but were unsure of the results. I think we will go ahead with it now while it's nice and cold and there aren't any flies.

Blessings,
    Christina

5. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

:handclap I'm glad things worked out well for you all.
    Deana

6. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I just love those wire saws! I've sawed a fully grown rams horn half off with little effort and not much blood! To give you an idea how hard rams horns are our neighbour uses a chainsaw for his!!
    Vanessa