Hoof trouble

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by GallopingGoats, Jan 11, 2008.

1. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

:down O.K. I feel terrible so please don't make me feel worse. I was lazy with my bucks hooves when he was so stinky. He got some hoof rot about 2 months ago. We cleaned it out real good with bleach water treated it with coppertox. Did this for a couple of weeks I think. Copper bolused and BOSE. It seemed that it was better and going to be fine but now my poor buck is limping badly. We checked his hoof and it looks good. No fever, eating fine. Alfalfa pellets, grass hay, minerals. He looks terrible thin because he ran himself ragged pacing the doe fence. I checked his eyelid and immedietly wormed him with cydectin. I started him on Pen G and B complex 2 days ago. Gave him Banamine yesterday. I think maybe he got something in his hoof that is now sealed off and caused an absess because there is a kind of lump on the outside of the hoof wall, kind of like it looks deformed. It is hard to describe. Any suggestions on doing anything mopre? Am I on the right track? Shannon

2. GallopingGoats

I went out to give him his pen G, B complex and Banamine. He has mushy poo. Not watery but not normal either. I drenched him with probias in warm water. He is eating fine and drinking. Should I be doing anything different? Shannon

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

So you are giving the antibiotics because you believe the thing on the hoof may be an infection of some sort? Did his loose stools occur after his being wormed or when? Sounds like you are on the right track, you are watching his feet, addressed his copper and selenium, have wormed him. Don't know about the loose stools though. Seems too soon after reciving antibiotics that his gut would react.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Wondering here: if maybe should puncture the swollen area to drain or cut off part of the wall so it will drain
    Don't know if that would be good or not so wait for someone with some more experience say

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

thinking the same thing, sondra

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

when one of the boys in my family (human) smashes his finger and blood pools under the nail they would take a REALLY small drillbit and drill a small hole in the nail. I *think* they just twarled the bit with their fingers instead of using a drill. or you could heat up a nail till it's bright red hot and burn a small hole through the hoof wall. eather way it would allow drain access, but would also open it up to new bacteria if it get clogged. not sure what to do about that. just some thoughts. personaly, I'd just keep an eye on it to see if it got worse, then do something.

-Melissa

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly Melissa. Tetracycline would be the med of choice for this, it was actually formulated for hoofrot in cattle. You can try using it and then hope the abscess heals, or in your trimming every week for awhile the crack on the sole of the foot heels after the bacteria has come out. But yes you really want the abscess to burst.

Did you move really quickly onto more to eat? Especially the alfalfa, that caused the diarrhea then. If he had a load of worms, diarrhea can be caused after worming, because you are also seeing blood. If severely anemic he needs calories and carbs and fat to rebuild his blood and his body...you need to add some grain to his diet very slowly. Just don't think you can keep bucks who are heavily used, or bucks who live in severe weather in good shape just on hay. At least add fat.

Lots of grass hay so he keeps warm while he rebuilds up his bodyfat...this is why GE is living with the milkers, I don't want him alone out in the buck pen during our damp cold winters. We don't have anything as cold as all of you but we have wet air all the time. A good layer of bedding, this will keep his feet dry also, continue dipping his feet several times a day in the kopertox. Bleach can't do anything unless his feet are sparkling clean, so stick with the kopertox. Vicki

8. GallopingGoats

I'll see if I can get ahold of tetracycline instead of pen G. then? Just to be clear, you think I should stop the Pen. G and start tetracyline? His hoof bottom looks real good, nice and healthy. The mushy poo started after the second dose of B complex, pen. and worming also banamine. How long should I keep up the banamine. He is gobbling his hay and his alfalfa pellets as usual. He has always been fed alfalfa pellets and grass hay but his appetite has picked up some. I will start giving him a little grain as well. The thought did cross my mind briefly to try and run a drill bit into the outside of his hoof with my fingers but I wasn't sure that would be a good idea so I decided to give it a little more time. His shed got a complete cleanout and a thick layer of shavings then straw. I also put shaving outside the door so he wouldn't have to walk in any mud to go to his water. Shannon

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just don't give both pen and tetra together

10. GallopingGoats

What are the common names for tetra? Brand names?

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

LA200 burns like the devil I don't use it

OXYTETRACYCLINE
    Extra label in goats
    TERRAMYCIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LA-200® (Liquamycin LA-200) Not long acting when administered IV
    Approved for use in lactating dairy cattle (7/9Cool
    Bio-Mycin 200 ® [FOI] Not long acting when administered IV
    Approved for use in lactating dairy cattle (2002)
    Liquamycin 200® Not long acting when administered IV
    Duramycin 72-200; Maxim-200; OT 200; Oxy-Tet 200; Agrimycin 200; OxyBiotic 200; OxyCure 200; Oxy-Mycin 200; Oxyshot; Oxy-Tet 200; Pennox 200 None are long acting when administered IV
    All contain 200mg of oxytetracycline per mL
    All are labeled for SC (SQ) injection.
    BACTERIOSTATIC
    Interferes with bacterial protein synthesis
    Tylan 200 is NOT the same medication

12. GallopingGoats

I have biomycin and maybe even LA 200

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

3.5cc per 100 pounds of the 200 mg tetracycline subq, once a day, you would see some subsiding of the abscess by 48 hours, or I would have it taken care of. Bucks feet and legs are about as important as his penis, he can't breed if he is lame. You even might want to think about using a feed through tetracycline, after this initial problem is taken care of, for the rest of the year until it dries up in the early summer. Most feed dealers carry calf medicated feeds. I dealt with dry does who had to live in a less than perfect area of our property like this.

Also foot health is so connected to their minerals, is your copper taken care of?

Overgrown hooves, everyone does it now and then, but he should not abscess. Vicki

14. GallopingGoats

I started him on biomycin yesterday. Will give for 5 days. HIs pen is just wet now, no mud. Bolused 2 months ago. He has access to minerals as well. I don't have 1 vet here that I trust to know anything about goats. My dog vet is good but she will admit she doesn't know much about goats. She will try to find out things for me though when I have asked. Does not do farm calls. Shannon