hoof trimming help in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Mar 1, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

I need some help with hoof trimming. I have never trimmed before, but have seen it done several times. We finally got our wild goats caught and started trimming. The yearling now looks deformed (lol) and the buck is way beyond my help. He needs someone with some expertise. It looks like he has hoof rot and one of his hooves are growing crooked. I don't even know what my does hooves look like yet. When I got the goats about 5-6 weeks ago, the people told me they had trimmed the hoofs. Well the goats were too spooked or too pregnant to spook so I let them go until what should have been time to trim again. They look like they have never been trimmed before! The poor buck had one side of his hoof grown completely over into the other side. And his hooves are wayyyyy too big. I don't know how to do this. It is over my head. I have never even seen anything this bad. I need someone close to come help me. Does anyone live near Heavener, Oklahoma?? I will be glad to pay if someone will help these poor goats. I know its my fault for not checking sooner, but I know they did not get like that in 5 or 6 weeks. There's no way. The bucks hooves are too damaged. Please let me know if someone can help.
    Thanks,
    Andi in OK

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have had them get that bad before when we had so much rain and couldnt get them done when they were supposed to ...You can still trim them a little at a time and with hoof rot dip in bleach water to kill it. I personally would trim off the part that is over grown and under the feet. try to make sure you you keep it all even with the coronary band which is the top of the hoof where the hair stops. I never believe what some people say and recheck when I get them home unless I know the breeder or owner personally. I trim my does when they calm down and even my bucks also...what is the largest town nearest you. I live in Blue Mound Kansas...so not to sure how far I am from you. Also there is a site can show you just how to do it . I think at www.fiascofarms.com they have instructions how. I know you just trim a little at a time and dont rush when they are this bad as they might bleed, thats when you will need some Tetanus antitoxin on hand. Good luck and let me know..

3. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Where exactly is Heavener at? I live out around the Guthrie area.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Can you at least just trim the wall? This should help some, just bringing the wall back to the "sole".

Too bad you're not a bit closer. I like trimming feet. :blush Horse and goat. :biggrin

6. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

I have trimmed them to where they are sort of level, but the frog (??) needs trimming too. It has grown up so much that it doesn't look like any of the pics online. I have plenty of pics in books and on websites, but none of them look like this goats hooves. I just need some experienced help or I'm gonna have to take him to a vet. His hooves look like they are rotting. They are flaking off and have grown crooked and off to one side. YUCK!
    Thanks anyway,
    Andi :/

7. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Ashley,
    Where are you locate in the Ozarks of Arkansas? I was just over in Arkadelphia yesterday picking up 2 more goats. I'm not adverse to driving if it is within a couple or so hours. Especially if it will help my goaties. :yes
    Andi

8. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I am located south of Yellville, it's between Harrison and Mtn Home.

I'm not an expert, but I would be happy to trim them up for you. I have been trimming my goats for a bit over a year, and my horses for nearly a couple years.

Maybe you could post pictures?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What abt using a grinder ?