Hoof Trimmer Sharpening

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Dec 7, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Do any of y'all find the need to sharpen your hoof trimmers? Mine seem to be getting dull, and I only have 5 goats and haven't even had them 6 months! What do you use to sharpen them? I have those little orange ones from Hoegger's... Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I take them to a saw sharping place

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Do you know of one local Sondra? And about how much it was to get them sharpened? I trimmed hooves today and boy are mine dull.
    Theresa

4. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I have had great success using a honing stone from the hardware store.

P

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Will have to ask DH Theresa but tis on hwy 199 or 730 twards you. Can't remember

6. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

At Academy, you can get a sharpening set made by Lansky. It has a clamp that holds the blade, with holes that set the proper angle. Several stones from coarse to fine. I haven't tried it on shears, but it'll put an edge on my Buck knife that'll shave hair.

Tom

7. stoneyheightsfarm

Tom, do you mean Academy Sports? I wonder if any sporting goods store would have this? I'd need that angle setting device, b/c knowing me, I'd get the wrong angle if I just got a stone and dull them rather than sharpen them!

Sondra, saw sharpening? Maybe my local hardware store could do it, then??

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes there are a couple places around here that sharpen lawn mower blades /saws/ etc.
    this one just did my trimmers and chain saw think it cost me $15 for the saw and two pair hoof trimmers. I have a sissor sharpener but it didn't work very good on the trimmers.

9. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Yes, Billie--Academy Sports & Outdoors. Back where the guns & knives are. Lansky makes several different sets. Mine has four or five stones. I think I spent less than $30.00 on it. It's supposed to sharpen anything, although really small blades are hard to clamp in the holder.

Tom

10. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks, y'all! I might take my trimmers to the place that does our chainsaw chains & lawnmower blades and ask, and if they say they can't, I'll check the sporting goods stores. (I think the Academy here has closed, but I could be mistaken...) I appreciate it! Sharper trimmers mean hands that aren't sore as the dickens for 2 days after trimming! :)

11. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I have a Fiskar scissor sharpener that has worked real well. Fits right in my tack box.
    Les

12. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

13. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

My hubby takes them into his shop and makes them magically sharp again ;-)

Tracy

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Another really good trick is to keep sandpaper in your box, the last thing you do before putting your shears away is to cut into the sand paper several times. Sharpening is about straighting out the bur on the blade, not taking off metal, so the sandpaper straightens up the blade for you each time and you can use your shears for much longer. I cut into maybe two time the really coarse stuff and then a couple times the really fine stuff. Vicki

15. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks for all those great ideas! A friend of mine has the accusharp thing in her kitchen for knives, so I might wind up getting a few of those anyway. :) Sandpaper? Huh! That sounds easy enough! Tracy, cute, but unless he can abra-cadabra a couple thousand miles away.... :) Very much appreciated, y'all! :)

16. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Never thought about sand paper. Makes perfect sense.
    Les

17. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I have two pair of hoof trimmers.. I use a dremel tool to sharpen them after every use. works well for us....(We have 15 goats) I just use a sanding wheel on the tool... works GREAT!