Hoof problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a boer buck that has bad hooves. I have trimmed his hooves just like the other goats, I've put koppertox on them when I trimmed them because I saw the hoof wall coming loose from his hoof. It is just getting worse and now his feet are hurting him to the point he sometimes gets on his knees (his front hooves are worse than his back hooves) and he lays around alot. I know they are hurting him. I have never had this problem before. What can I do to get this cleared up and get him some "normal" hooves? He is a young buck, not even 2 yet. Also my pastures don't sit in water. We live on a sandy loam area and water drains well here. They have minerals and they get a meat goat pellet and they have a large pasture area that does have some browse in it. Any ideas how to get his hooves cleared up?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

use a sander also cut the wall back so it can clear up if it is hoof rot.
    copper bolus him.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Boers have very poor feet, so most of this is likely hereditary. The rest...if you have good feet on your Alpine bucks that don't have these problems with the mineral you use than I would blame it on this bucks feet.

Do you have a belt sander? Keeping his feet perfectly flat, as short as you can, as often as you can is really the only thing that works. Keeping him on a feeed with tetracycline in it can also help. Biotin helps make hard feet. Vicki

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Yes, he is in a pasture with another boer buck and his feet are perfect. I guess it is hereditary. I don't have a sander, but I do need to get one. I've read Tim's posts about sanding down the hooves and thought about it, guess this will give me an excuse to get one. Hmm... do they make a cordless one? I've gotten so spoiled to my cordless tools DH gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. What do you think about any injections for hoof rot? Ever used them?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Shoot yes....we would keep our yearlings and bucks on feed through tetracycline in hopes of not getting hoof rot. We don't get cattle foot rot in the sense of the infectious vaccinatable foot rot, we get just plain ole hoof rot from our spongy wet soil. What turned my herd around was learning about copper, and think about that kopertox and foot bathes of copper sulfate are just that copper. If you don't bolus him do, and if you can take away his grain. I tried everything even painting his feet, sealing his feet, every trick Merry could come up with for light colored bad feet on a horse.

Yes they sell cordless grinders might want to check out harborfrieght.com Really excellent prices. vicki