Hoof issues

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Jan 1, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I am learning to trust my 10 year old dd instincts with the animals. She has been right 100% of the time in seeing illness and abnormalties in the animals long before I do. Think I would have learned this time when she said the doe was limping, but no, I didn't see a limp and let it go.

Now she is a little swollen. We have trimmed her up, drenched the hoof in iodine. This is the first time we have ever had this happen - it is VERY muddy this year, but dry in the goat shed.

Advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Bethany

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I will take a veggy scrubber with soap and water to a limping foot and really clean the foot up into the dew claw. Dry the foot with a towel (up on the milkstand or on a dry surface) and then pour hydrogen peroxide onto the foot. Anything that bubbles on a clean foot or hoof, is the problem area. Then feel all around the coronary band...where the hoof meets the side of the leg. Pull up the hair, can you feel any soft buldges, these are abscess.

Most of the time a good trimming short, soaking in iodine is fine, or koopertox, and she is fine. Goats also limp when they twist thier pasterns in the spongy soil..this will usually show as a swelling, and sometimes can swell all the way into the knee. Also feel for heat in the leg. Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Thanks, I will do as you said and see if it works. She was looking better this afternoon after her good trim and treatment last night.

Bethany

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Bethany,

That is quite a girl you have - very observant and intuitive. Good job mom.

Anne

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Oh, it is nothing that I have done. She has a sixth sense where animals are concerned. The first time I noticed her relationship with animals she was one. She was sitting in her stroller and a HUGE dog came right up to her and began licking her face. I gasped thinking she was going to freak out and also not knowing if this dog was friend or foe. She giggled and patted the dog while he licked her face and nuzzled her. There's never been an animal that hasn't loved her or she them. She's a born vet or trainer that's for sure. It is a gift from God I think. She is terribly dyslexic and has been very far behind in school so it is a blessing that she has this thing she is so good at to boost her esteem.

Bethany