Homemade hand milker

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by feistygoatwoman, Jul 28, 2008.

1. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

Ok- I have been having issues with my hands for a while. Milking is not helping things either. I came across a homemade hand milker on a website this lady made out of 1/4 inch aquarium tubing, a spray nozzle off of a spray bottle, and a 35 cc syringe. I was wondering what you thought about this. I like hand milking my girls so I thought this would be a great alternative. What do you think???

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I've seen all sorts of these type things...even a lady who sells one that is beefed up out of heavier stuff.
    Some people say they work OK, and some say it's a waste of money. I've never tried it before, so hard to give you my opinion on the "how well" part.......I did however figure that there would be little difference in me pumping that thing with my fingers, or squeezing a teat with my fingers. Either way, I would have to be there 'til the doe is milked out...and many say that these rigs fall some short of milking a doe out very well....and she will need to be finished by hand.
    A short explanation is ...that as the teat gets smaller and wrinkles start to form...the "tube" will loose its suction easy. That kinda makes sense to me because the tube will not shrink to conform to the teat as is is milked down.

Since these rigs really don't cost but a few bucks to build, you should try it. .....I'm going to one of these days...if nothing else but for a conversation piece to hang on the wall and talk about.

Whim

3. Rose

Rose New Member

We have several of the homemade ones, and we have a different syringe body size on each one. We use the smallest one possible so that the teat fits very snuggly inside the syringe as you are milking. Our hope is that this will support the teat walls.

My milking partner has scleroderma and severe arthritis, and we can't afford an electric milker at this time.

I have been told that using these can damage the teat. I hand milk whenever possible, but my partner can't. When he milks, he uses the homemade milker.

4. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

Thanks for your input. It was something I found interesting but wanted to get some other opinions. I am going to try to just stick it out with the handmilking until I can afford an electric milker (which will probably be never:))Oh well!!

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I hand milk also and hands are hurting but I did geta milker for my cow so all I need now is to get inflations and hoses for the goats. But with only 1 goat right now milking I just milk slowly. I bought the maggiedan milker and had only problems with it. Yes she replaced it but its still not worth the money I paid for it. I guess if its only a few dollars its ok to use every once in a while but wouldnt use it all the time. Check ebay and sometims with misspelling you can get a milker really cheap.
    Kathy