holding a doe to breed....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

my fatty saanan seems to be in heat, the buck is certain of it, but she wont' let him mount. everything but mount her. she runs to me, like she is more interested in me than him. does anyone here have to hold a doe to let her get bred? i put her nose in a corner, and he did mount her now 4 times but they were soooo fast, not sure if any good will come of it.

she has dropped production so much that i am thinking to just put her in with him and be done with her for now. also wondering if that isnt' why she was sold cheap! and now, she is my fav. girl, and i know darned well most of you well have her at the next sale. not sure if i can do it! she was a gallon per day gal for a while, but now isn't even worth putting on the stand. (less than 2 pints per milking)

and not to be real dumb here, but how long does it take for a buck to get a doe bred? this youngster is jumping up, making horrible sounds and all, but his actual 'busy' time is about 20 seconds. is this right?

i am sorry for always asking such dumb questions, i hope you will be patient with me.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She has to not only let him mount her but move her tail over for his penis to insert into the vagina. He will also thrust as he ejaculates and you can immediatly see sperm coming from the vagina. Also you can see new pink skin from him entering and exiting her, at no other time only after breeding or after kidding do you ever see this even in heat so you know she has been bred.

It takes one ejaculation only to inseminate all the eggs she can produce. So multiple breedings aren't needed. I will simply hold the doe by the collar, and put my knee into her brisket to hold her from going forward while I push against her. With help I have even lifted a tail or two in my life :) Most problems for me is using young bucks....shy young bucks. Vicki

3. I agree. Especially with young bucks. Sometimes those young guys just need a little help, and she maybe just needs the assurance that you are there so it is ok. :??? I don't know My old girl (I call her Jezebell these days) knows the game well. She's not aversed to having him "lift her skirt" :blush2 er...move her tail and procede when she's quite ready.

4. chewie

chewie New Member

he seems more than ready, but she is refusing him. now i think she about done with heat this time. :grrr:

thanks both of you for responding.

and thanks vicki for such an in-depth answer, i hated to ask, but that is jsut what i needed to know!