Hoeggers Herbal Wormer

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Do any of you use Hoegger's Herbal Wormer and Tonic? If so, what do you think of it? Does it get the job done? I haven't learned yet to check out worms in berries under a microscope, but I want to sometime.

Do you like to use anything else in addition to this, like once a year, that is a chemical wormer? I'd like to hear your thoughts, as this is the only wormer I've used since starting with goats almost 4 years ago.

2. Rose

Rose New Member

So.... you haven't done any fecal testing at all? Not even taken a sample to the vet?

Have you checked the color of the inside of the eyelids to see if your goats are anemic?

3. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

No, no, and no. Teach me!

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

First thing I would do is pull fecals on the goats and either do them yourself, I personally take mine to the vet because I don't have a microscope to see what (if any) parasites you are dealing with and egg counts. Then we can go from there.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Right and especially if your useing herbal wormers you need to be running fecal checks quite often. We do them even using chemicle wormers as you never know what is working and what isn't. Especially down here in TEXAS where the worms and cocci will get you fast.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I can't say if this stuff works or not, because I have never used it....but I can tell you of the folks that I know around here...none of them use it....and one of those folks have been raising nubi's constantly for about 35 years.....a real old timer that has tried about everything at some point in time.
    Try to get you a micro.( that will do the job ) at some point in time. It will be the best money that you will spend on trying to keep a healthy herd. It takes so much of the hit/miss guess work out of the management of your herd.

Whim.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

heck I have a cheap ole kids micro and it works I know because I do them and then every so often take them to the vet and have him run them just to make sure.

8. Rose

Rose New Member

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

but also be aware that by the time you see very light in the eyelids you also have a goat with heavy burdens and anemic.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Buy yourself a microscope, think pawn shops near univeristies with teaching hosiptals, internet etc...and get a chambered slide, McMasters is what I use. Find out for yourself what worms you have problems with, what wormer works on your place to get rid of them, and how much of that wormer...and then if you want to try herbal wormers try them armed with real information.

Most who use them are up north, they have freezes that kill parasites in pasture. They have herds of a few goats. They won't tell you which worms they actually are killing with the herbal wormer. And when you ask them questions they all get their panties in a bunch and call me mean things :)

I just expect that when someone is giving information about anything, that could kill someone elses animals that it comes with a little more than 'aint' they purty'.

Worms and cocci are killers in the south, and if they don't kill your goats they will ruin them.

Using chemical wormers on schedules...the day they kid, 10 days later, after pasture puddles from rain after a period of drought, before breeding, 100 days bred, and every 3 weeks on kids until well grown with at least one or two tapewormings..... will work. As will worming for anemia, but beware, FAMANCHA will not diagnose problems with winter cool weather worms that ruin condition in your goats and don't suck blood. And worming at salvage isn't a good plan for dairy goats. Worming on schedules is super expensive.

As long as you aren't dealing with resistance to your wormer, which we saw many many goats die last year with no fecal checks to see that scheduled wormings were not working anymore, or they were dealing with cocci and not worms, or liverflukes that their wormer didn't even touch. The answer then isn't to...not use chemical wormers and move to herbal wormers. The answer is to learn to fecal and do it. I wormed my girls the day they kidded, after appraisal, which was also the day they kidded on some of my does....and one other time before breeding. Because I fecal, and this last year samples all went to the vet each month because my microscope went to college. So fecal sampling can also save you a ton of money not having to worm, with either chemicals or herbals.

At some point in your goating you will be sick to death of hearing one more person tell you what to do. How cool to know that using this wormer at this dosage, and fecaling afterward to see a huge decrease in eggs, to not see skinny does in milk in the spring from winter worms eating all your food you fed them...no more guessing. Vicki

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin I'll drink to that !!!