hobbling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Oct 11, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Okay, I have a 1 1/2 year old Alpine milker, who, (along with 2 others,) I was thinking a couple of months ago might just have meningeal worm. (wet spring-wet summer-lots of slugs and snails, etc...)
    We treated her, and all was fine until 2 weeks ago. This gal suddenly started digging her neck raw with her rear foot. We were spraying it with Blu-Kote, thinking it might possibly be ringworm, (as the last calf we bought had that, -and Blu-Kote is very effective- but we are VERY careful about handling and such, and calves are completely separate from goats. AND, it really does not look like ringworm, as it is long and narrow down the neck.) The Blu-Kote has not helped.. neither has chlorhexadine or Betadine. She has no neurological symptoms right now.

Now, in just 14 days, the lesion has grown from a tiny bald spot, to about 8 inches long, and about 3/4 inch wide, down her neck... Today, I found a spot on her shoulder (on the same side) that looks JUST like a cigarette burn... small and round, (like the size of a cigarette,) but yellowish skin...

Even when she is on the milkstand, she tries to dig at her neck with her rear hoof. This poor girl is suddenly going NUTS with the itching.
    She was treated with 6 cc's. of Ivermectin injectable yesterday, (as she is 100 pounds,) and 2 cc's of Banamine yesterday, and again today. We are also using Dexamethasone.
    We are very worried about a secondary skin infection, as her neck has gotten quite raw...from the intense itching, and am thinking along the lines of hobbles... any ideas for homemade hobbles? Also, any other ideas to help her are welcome, too.. (Other than digging her neck raw, she seems to be in good health.. milking well, good appetite, etc.) Would Benedryl help her? We thought about wrapping her neck, but figured she would just dig at it until the wrap came off....elizabethan collar? But then, how could she eat?, etc.. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jami

Jami New Member

caprine dairy goat supply sells hobbles for $6.45. Are you sure she doesn't have mites? There is this natural oil called neem oil that treats ring worm really well, my horse had ring worm one time and I only had to apply it once. It will also work on almost all skin conditions including lice and mange. you can get it off line just google neem oil. the only bad thing about it is that it smells really bad, and depending on what you are using it for you will want to mix it in with a lotion or a soap. But for ringworm I would use it straight.

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thanks! She seems to have settled down now...and we ended up not needing to hobble her. Good to know they are available tho. Thanks again!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't hobble a goat in a case like this anyway and try using furall and benedryl for the itching

also I have no idea why you would use dex for this type of situation.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Get a vet to diagnosis if this is indeed deer worm. Don't play around with it or you WILL loose the doe or at best have a doe with permanent neuro problems. She is in considerable misery from the larva tracks.

Ivomec, Dexamethasone, and banamine are the treatments most effective. BUT, very hard on the animal if it's not meningeal worm.
    Kaye

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I would definately have the vet check this out. Some of my goats have had ringworm in the past and haven't gotten that itchy from it. As for ringworm, I've been told animals don't have to have direct contact for it to spread. It can spread through the air. I believe this to be true. The last time any of my goats had it, the neighboring rancher had put a small group of cattle in the next pasture. I believe he must have done it to quarantine them from the rest of his herd, because the next thing you know, my goats started getting ringworm. They were not able to have any physical contact with the cattle and I did not walk in their pasture nor touch any of them. I had not visited a farm with ringworm, nor touched any animals with it prior to my goats getting it. Thankfully, my goats responded to being treated with Blukote alternated with athletes foot spray.
    I've never seen a case of what you're describing in goats. I hope you can find out for sure what it is. Kathie

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

DUH I missed the part of possible Deer Worm get a vet please

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Caprine ringworm:
    Trichophyton spp? Microsporum spp. fungi
    Mode of transmission: Direct contact with infected animal, or indirect contact with objects capable of harboring the fungi.
    The most prevelant place to contact ringworm is a show barn previously inhabited by sheep or infected goats.

very informative article:
    http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache...pdf+club+lamb+fungus&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Any type of fungus with steroids(dexamethasone,prednisone) admistered will lead to major problems. Just ask my Dr. :mad You can treat with anything you like-water/bleach, Lamasil, OTC fungus sprays, hearsay ...but it still takes any med. a while to kill the fungus and the hair to grow back. Signs of regression...smooth slick skin, without crust, and hair growing back.
    Kaye

9. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thank you. She seems to be doing well now.. The itching has stopped, and the lesion appears to be healing.