Hi & Q on inheritability of teat size?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Leo, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi all!
    I have a 2nd freshener that has smallish teats, almost 1st freshener size but not as bad. I really prefer good sized handles you can wrap your hands around. Anyway, I tried to find the info. but couldn't locate it, but what are the chances her doelings will have smallish teats?
    Thanks,
    Megan

2. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

I think it would depend on the buck she was bred to. I have an old doe that has really big round teats and she had a doe (out of a saanen) and she has smaller less round teats then her mother. Then I know some one who had a lamancha doe that kidded and he had raisen sized teats and so did her doe and buck kid. But I think it just depends on how strong the trait is. Also you can tell if they will have pretty big teats or not by just looking at them now.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hi and welcome here.....I'll let these experts comment on the % factor in more detail......but for all practicle purposes.....this is where finding an outstanding buck, with an outstanding momma, to breed this doe to is where you can make the biggest offspring improvement in a situation like this.

Whim

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Teat diameter is 38% heritable. With 30% and over = High heritability.
    Kaye

5. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies, I was thinking it was a high heritability trait. :? Luckily, my buck comes from great milking lines(udder and all) so I'll go and check the girls again to see if they look smallish, take notes and compare when they are older. :D

Thank you,
    Megan

6. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex New Member

Ok.. what percentage does the mother give on teat size, and what percentage is the buck?

Megan, thanks for starting this thread :)