Hey!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Now what's that supposed to mean? Odor? Does y'alls goat milk have an ODOR? Cause if not, I guess y'all are missing some fatty acids. :really

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly that, if you shake up goat milk too much, or let it room temp on you, it will cause the goaty flavor we all hate. Why clean handling and gentle handling gives you the best flavor and odor. Vicki

3. coso

coso Guest

I think this is exactly why goats milk and cheese gets it's bad name, when people buy it from the grocery store. It has went from the dairy farm through a pipeline, pumped into a milk truck, pumped into the milk plant/cheese plant pumped into the vats. Pasteurized, pumped into the cheese vat or through to bottling machines. This causes breakdown of those fatty acids thus causing the goaty taste. I've tried different chevre at grocery stores and they all taste like a buck peed on them. I've never tried the store bought goat milk but everyone that I know that has tried it said it was awful.

When we make cheese on our own or have our own milk or buy it from a farmstead or artisan cheese place that has there own milk there milk/cheese is so much better. There is not that agitation of milk there and the milk/curd is handled with more care.

I think that's why some of the cheeses that you have to do more work with the curd to turn it into cheese is sometimes not made with goats milk.

4. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Sounds about right! :) I can always tell when the milk is more than a 5 days old (if it ever makes it that long around here), you sniff it! I also noticed that it is more delicate the hotter it gets in the summer, the sooner you get it chilled the better. :)
    The first time my husband had goats milk in something hot (I think it was his coffee) he could tell that it was "goats" milk. It doesnt taste bad yet or anything but you can tell goats milk after it has been heated.
    BUT! If you have ever had raw, unpasteurized, unhomogenized, non skimmed, fresh from the barn, cows milk it has a "raw" flavor too similar to a goat..but more like a cow!!LOL (not a bad flavor mind you, but it is the same idea and plenty of city folk would gag!). I will agree that some goat milk can taste down right nasty, but I also think that some of us humans (me having been one in the past), were never exposed to "real milk", when it is the stuff from the stores that should be labeled "tasting funny".
    Patina

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

You bet it tastes awful. You know how many years I thought I hated goat milk? Then one day someone at church brought a bunch to potluck and I tasted it because I had been told real goat milk doesn't taste like storebought. I couldn't believe it how good it tasted!

The article made it sound like all goat milk stinks and tastes bad.