Hey I think I found something...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Sep 25, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I was looking through my PBS catalog today and I saw slow release CMPK boluses. Since my doe is prone to milk fever, I was wondering if this might be the solution. Start bolusing her about 2 months prior to her kidding date and continuing for 2 months after she kids. Any thoughts on this?

TIA!

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Just a question of the top on my head...with good free choice alfalfa and a grain source and still having milk fever is any more calcium going to help? Sounds like more of an absorption problem. Perhaps this CMPK will provide better balance enhancing absorption, but if the absorption is low copper, high iron or something else even CMPK may not help.
    Interesting find on the bolus!

3. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I don't know about the absorbtion for sure but like you said the correct combo of the minerals may help her absorb it better. That and if I start copper bolusing her. I don't know what else to do so I am looking for ideas. :help ;)

OHHHH and I also found something she would eat. She right now will scarf on straight oats. :D LOL I am not giving her very much because I don't want her to get tired of it and stop eating them but I was SOOOO excited. (She wouldn't eat these earlier in the year.)