Hereditary?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 16, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Is liver failure or "fatty liver disease" hereditary? :?

2. Truly

Truly New Member

In goats or ppl? I would think that at least the susceptibility is hereditary.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well no not as you would think however it is associated with lack of cobalt/B12 so if mom is deficent and that nutritional asspect is passed on to kids then yes could be inherited.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Sad news. The doe had to be put down yesterday. Vet said, "Fatty liver disease".

Hmmm. Will a B complex shot help her kids? (How often for prevention?) The doe was around 5 I think.
    :( Here she is below. Pic taken last summer.

[​IMG]

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you can get straight b12 I do believe but make sure your minerals are good and have cobalt. An over weigth doe can have fatty liver also

6. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I've only ever had a cat with fatty liver disease. The vet said it would pass as long as we could keep him "eating." We had a feeding tube put in.

I would think B vitamins can't hurt - they are supposed to stimulate appetite.
    Sorry about your doe. :(

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It was my buckling's Dam. Not mine. Still a sad thing though. Thanks.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's hereditary in that they get the same management at the same farm. Being bred to kid when you are two. Calories and fat as part of the diet even when dry. It was why you never saw and aged boer buck. Although you can lean a doe down they never loose that loss of dairy character over the bottom of the ribs, or the internal fat around their liver and kidneys...Vicki

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That is VERY interesting Vicki. Thank you very much. Informative.