Here I go again! Please help.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Ok. I have 3 more little kids and two of them are showing signs of tetanus the same as the one that I lost here awhile back. Noticed yesterday that they are not sucking milk.They were born the 7th of June.The one who is showing signs is a little buckling and he had his horn done on the 4th of July and then again a second time on the 19th of July. His head looks funny since the second burning and he just keeps digging at his head right between the horns.I tried to help him suck from his mother and when I held him up to her teat he couldn't get it into his mouth and he stiffened right up.
    The second one is a little doeling who had her horn done on the 9th of July. They all had a tetanus anti-toxin shot when they had their horns done the first time. They started their round of CD/T on the 14 of July and due on the 3rd of August for their second shot.
    The third little one is a buckling and seems fine so far.
    What do I do? I am so discouraged right now and being a new to goats makes it so hard. Help

Wendy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Without vet help, debreeding the heads, massive IV's and antitoxin by the vial fulls, you really can't treat this yourself. Incubabtion period to death is 21 days and both kids are falling in this time period. Using the antitoxin on the wounds also helps.

Antitoxin only works for about 10 days, and it takes giving the regular toxoid CD&T and another shot in 21 days to seal immunity. So from the 10 days when the antitoxin shot wears off until the day of the second shot, and likely a few days after the shot, the kid does not have a sealed immunity. You have to give that second antitoxin when you know tetanus is a killer in your area.

For your herd you have to be more agressive I would vaccinate like Kaye does with tetanus as it's own vaccination. Always do your adult does prekidding so you don't have to give antitoxin. Start using colostrum from only your older vaccinated does so kids have excellent immunity from their colostrum...stop using young does colostrum on your place. The health of your kid crop improves by using these ideas. Vicki

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

What is debreeding the heads? I've never heard of that.

4. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Debreeding a wound is just scrubbing a wound until the area is cleansed back down to the raw tissue. Your removing all the old scabby areas and any infectious tissues until all you see is nice pink healthy tissue.

Ray

5. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

6. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Well I guess I'm losing the batte here. The vet is out of antitoxin and can't get any for a couple of days. Tried 2 other vets and they do not carry it. I have ask them about tetanus and it seems that I'm the only case around here and I'm alking quite a wide radius here. What gives. Why me.I've been told by a few vets who say that it is because my kids were born in the warm weather and not when it is freezing out like they are sppose to be. So now it is my fault!

Wendy

7. NubianSoaps.com

Here also Wendy, if you have kids born in the warm summer, you disbud or band castrate kids, sheep etc...and don't vaccinate adults who are giving colostrum to your kids and you will have tetanus deaths in 21 days. It's why my vaccination protocoal is that third shot after they are 12 weeks old and back when we held yearlings over to kid at nearly 2 they also recieved their booster shots at kidding time even though they were unbred. You could also for awhile add a prebreeding shot to everyone to stimulate more immunity in your adults.

Vicki

8. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Thanks Vicki. I ws talking to my vet again and he said that where they were due for their other shot of CD/T in 6 days to give it to them now. Does this sound right or will it do any good. He said there was nothing to lose at this point. Should I do this?

Wendy

9. NubianSoaps.com

It isn't going to hurt.

I would at least scrub their heads and using straight pennicillin over them.

He could at least give you supportive therapy until the antitoxin is one day mailed? Vicki

10. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I gave them each 2cc of Depocillin and 1/8 cc of Cronyxin which they say is the same as Banamine and costs me 12.41 plus tax just for 1 cc. Highway robbery.

How often should I give this stuff to them? Just once a day or twice a day or what?

Wendy

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I give Banamine once a day for three days. I'm wondering if your disbudding was done properly. It strikes me as odd that three kids would be showing symptoms of tetanus in one season. In the seven years I've been around goats, I've seen many kids disbudded without any vaccination and only one kid with tetanus - and I think she got it long after the incubation peoiod following disbudding. The kid was part of a friend's large herd. That the one kid is digging at his horn area makes me question the procedure. You folks must have a harder time getting meds than we do. Here, you can get antitoxin at the feed store. Kathie

12. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Some of the feed sotres around here sell antitoxin...try Tractor Supply or Orshlens...and your local feed sotre. Mine keeps both types of shots and other meds also...just a thought...sorry about your goats. Kathy

13. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Re: Here I go again! Please help.Update

Ok, I have been really busy here with these babies. My vet said there is no way it could be tetanus and would not give me the tetanus antitoxin.He says it was bad dehorning and went into the skull. He gave me Dexamethasone to give them at 1/2 cc into the muscle and I gave that to them for two days. Today will be the third day of that and no more. I have also been giving them 2cc of Depocillin once a day Sub-q. This is the forth day for that. The little doeling is still sucking from her mother but the little buckling has stoped sucking and just drinks water and nibbles hay.I guess I am going to loose him. Maybe even the doeling. I have never been so depressed in al my life. Any advice would be nice at the moment.
    I have ask around and still haven't found anyone wo will do horns if I need it done next year.

Wendy

14. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Don't give up Wendy. You just never know when one might pull through. I believe that you can order antitoxin from Jeffers. I see that you are in Canada so not sure about shipping but it might be worth a try. Most feed stores here also carry it. If it was bad disbudding (getting into the skull), I would have thought that it would have cause problems right away. I could be wrong about this.

Don't be too hard on yourself though. We all make mistakes and still our goats live. I will tell you that last year a had a doeling born at a really bad time of my life. I forgot to dip her naval and she got navel illness. Then I lost her mother. I really thought this doeling was going to die. But somehow she pulled through and has turned into a lovely doe. So, you just never know if they will make it or not.
    Theresa

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Has he even seen the goats?? (VET) tho he could be right I guess and the dex will help with any swelling. So this may help. I used dex along with the antitoxin on the little goat I saved with Tetnus. I am with Vicki on this get your older goats all up to date on their CD/T shots and give a booster at breeding and again just prior to freshening.

16. Rose

Rose New Member

I just picked up a whole bottle of Banamine from the vet. $30. Yup, you was robbed.

17. NubianSoaps.com

And it could be thermal menengitis, same kind of neurological sypmtoms....from disbudding into the skull, the temp is soo hot the brain fries, it starts to swell. Vicki

18. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Yup, Banamine is $100.00 dollars for 100 ml here from the vet. Other things are expensive to. The little ones are not as bad as the one I lost yet but I'm just waitingand hoping. All are gtting their CD/T shots.

Wendy

19. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Yes Vicki the vet says it is probably from holding the iron on too long and going into the skull. I think that is what the ozzing clear jelly stuff was from.

Wendy

20. NubianSoaps.com

If it didn't start with symptoms nearly immediatly after disbudding than it wasn't from that but infection, which eats away until it gets into the tissue around the brain. The swelling of this then puts pressure on the brain.

Did they use frual after disbudding?

Are you a member of ADGA? Or your CGS? I would go through the directory and find me a breeder to disbud my kids for me and to learn from. Vicki