Herd Names

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dover Farms, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

So...how do you come up with your herd name and tattoo?

We live in Dover Township in Fulton County, so my herd name is Dover Farms. My tattoo is JS11...my initials and the age I was when I registered my tattoo with ADGA.

2. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

My husband came up with our farm name after we had lived here a while. It took a tremenous amount of faith in God to get here and this farm is our haven! Our peaceful paradise after a transient military life, living in base housing for the last 15 years! We are Faith Haven Farm but "Faith Haven" as a herd name was taken when I joined ADGA. :sniffle The member was not active and had no goats registered with "Faith Haven". So, on advice of ADGA, with the help of someone who knows how to work with ADGA, I was able to contact that person and get the herd name relinquished to me! Our tatoo is "FH05" for Faith Haven, 05 for the year we moved here to our farm! Or it could be for the five of us in our family. :biggrin It took quite an act to get all of this situated. ADGA wasn't very helpful to me in getting started. I am a happy camper now! I am thankful for the blessings! :biggrin

3. Truly

Truly New Member

I used my initials for my tatoo also.

I was thinking Precious Gems for a farm name. I am always saying truly this and truly that, so I changed it to Truly Gems. Also I love the name Truly from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Truly Scrumptious.

At this point I'm glad I went with Truly, because I'll use Truly Soap for my soap name brand.

So is 47 too old to pick a nickname? If not, I'm gonna be Truly. :biggrin

4. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

One of my nephew's and my older daughter's are their initials and the year they were born. The other nephew's is his initials and his favorite number. Mine is just my initials, no number, but they are rearranged :D The other two children are just authorized to use my tattoo- I get tired of keeping it straight!

My herd name came from my sister- it means 'goat harmony' in sanskrit. Our first registered doe was named Harmony, and we are a very musical family. I couldn't think of anything else that wasn't taken. I had been working on it for 7 years, you would have thought I could have come up with something people could pronounce! I juist knew I didn't want anymore 'The's in front of my goat's names ;)

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

We picked our herd name after my daughter "Raven" and well our farm is her "haven" so that is how we got our herd name "Raven's Haven". My tattoo is those initials "RH8". She was are only child at that time but then little Mason came along so we are "Mason Creek Farm" home to Raven's Haven Dairy Goats and Eidson's Kennels.

Autumn

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I used the name that I had come up with for my saddlemaking business. I wanted something western for that and something that could be a brand (like circle Y, ect) It was either "double M" -for Mishael Miller(which seemed so typical so I decided on "Halo-M" it was cute and different. So Halo-M saddlery became Halo-M nubians- "Halo-M" is nice and short so leaves me lots of room for fun names. My tattoo is Halo-couldn't beleive that one wasn't taken back in 1999 but it is easy to remember-and all my goats have "halo's" :)

7. Odeon

Odeon New Member

My herdname used to be Gentle-Winds, but after a MAJOR life change, I decided I needed a new start, including a new herdname. My dear friend, Shirley Hooper, formerly Lubov LaManchas, and I went out for beer and anchovie pizza, and we sorted through name books, dictionaries, thesauruses, etc.. and finally found "Odeon" which means something small, yet grand, such as a theatre or symphony hall.

I have played classical violin for YEARS (started in 4th grade), so it seemed to be a perfect fit! (Especially now since I breed Nigerians... small, yet grande!

Ken

8. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I haven't figured one out yet, I am terrible at naming individual animals, much less all of them at once!

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

My herd name comes from mostly a mix of 4000 yr old Hebrew......Kelita means short, or dwarf....Gedi means goat, or goat kid. Kelita Gedi Farm - - - Dwarf Goat Farm.

I guess it will sound ok, as long as I stay with ND's.

10. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Hmm....well I was a Lord of The Rings fanatic (still am) and I wanted to do something unusual so I was going to use Lothlorien but it was already being used to I did GoldenWood since that was another name for Lothlorien and my tattoo is my initials plus my birthday. So JN25.

Justine

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

"Feral Nature" describes many things here. The way things revert back to the way nature intends. Our farm is reverting back. The fields were once cleared of woods, bulldozed and poisoned and planted in coastal. Now, the forest has reclaimed them. They are chemical free and back to the way they should be. My horses run free and uncombed. My naturalized poultry is free-ranged with no coops. My goats are unclipped and natural. I am an aging wild child. Don't ask. I so believe in survival of the fittest as God and Mother Nature's tool for strengthening and culling all forms of life. So Feral Nature so fits. My tattoo is FNF for Feral Nature Farm.

12. Knotneer

Knotneer New Member

Our herd name is Knotneer. I live in a state forest that nobody has heard of, on 7 miles of dirt road with 6 year round residences. I would try to tell people where we were located- twelve miles north of Staples, ten miles south of Nimrod- and I'd hear, "You're not near anywhere!" Add cutesy spelling for future Googleability and voila.
    I have also learned that the correct direction for my farm is "three miles south of Maynard Benson's".

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

A dear uncle who was called Swede passed away and his estate made it possible for us to move out of the city to our acreage--hence "Swede Farm". Our tattoo? An amalgam of the initials for swede farm and our last name.

14. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

We are "Prairie Comforts" and our tatoo is MMO. Prairie Comforts is what I came up with for my business - I advertize my things as being "Truly Comforts from the Prairie." Well since the goat milk soap is a huge part of what I sell - the herd name had to be the same. Not very inventive - but it works.

15. Melissa

Melissa New Member

when I was a little girl my favorite book was "the swiss family robinson" I must have read that book 50 times. I remember that the wild ass that they had captured they named lightfoot. that name stuck with me all this time. I don't really know what first got me loving goats so much but I think it was a mix of "Robinson Caruso" and the Disney movie "hunchback of noterdam" the one where the gypsy chick had the sweetest, helpful little goat. (yes I'm aware it's a cartoon) anyway I just put two and two togeather and figured that nothing described goats better than goats being very light footed, jumping, bouncing, running. so changing the spelling I called my herd "litefoot" my tattoo is simply my initials.

-Melissa

16. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I came up with several ideas when I was thinking of herd nnames. My hubby said if we used our last name, he'd help pay for our herd registration and tattoo. My tattoo is my initials.

17. Josie

Josie New Member

Cool thread!

I'm on my 2nd herd name and have only just swithched from junior membership haha.

First herdname was "Taw Valley" - my Grandfather's herd name (cattle).

I changed directions last year with the goats and decided I needed to make a total break and change my herd name too. So now I'm "Riven" but my tattoo is still the same.

18. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Ok, can't believe I am about to share this, but hey, every post get me closer to being able to list "sale" posts... lol

Back before I became Odeon, I was married to my 2nd wife (a LONG story!), anyway, my herdname was still Gentle-Winds at the time (and I bred Nubians). My ex decided she wanted LaManchas under a different herd name.. she chose....

Stormy Weather... yeah.. sounds like a stripper, doesn't it! :sigh

So we were Gentle Winds, and Stormy Weather... No wonder the marriage didn't work! :rofl ok, well for other than obvious reasons....

Ken

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Odeon....your at 50 now!

I just thought it would be interesting to hear about how everybody got their herd names! Mine is so boring. :sigh

20. When I get my own goat :sniffle, cuz they are all Lindsey's and my ADGA membership (figure I'll go there when I get my own goat :crazy) I would like to have it say Long Slice of Heaven, our property is our slice of heaven. Lindsey's is Long Lindsey LL90.