Herbs that won't turn dark in soap?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Anita Martin, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

hello!
    I'm wondering if anyone who adds herbs to their soaps could tell me which herbs tend to turn get a brown halo in the soap? So far I've used basil and mint. The mint was in a mint soap and all pieces had dark halos around them. I used the basil with no discolorization. Both herbs came from herbalcom.com and were completely dry as far as I could tell. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Anita

2. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Anita I can tell you what I've experienced and have been told. Your herbs will turn brown, no matter what. Anything organic will turn brown. However, if you use well dried herbs and throw them through the chopper to a fine herb powder you can get your mints, basil, comfrey, or catnip to actually give a green halo. Its pretty cool. Most of my herbs I grow and dry myself. Teas, nettle and Chamomile I order. Tammy

3. Anita Martin

I did a soap that I colored with powdered thyme and added dried basil. The scent was rosemary. I didn't like it too much, but everyone who got it absolutely loved it. The dried basil DID NOT turn brown at all. The soap was a nice olive green with flecks of herbs. By far my most interesting soap. I did a peppermint with that same herb, and did not use a color. Each piece of herb has a halo around it. Not pretty at all in my opinion. I didn't know if it was certain herbs that turned brown, or just luck, or lack of it.
    Thanks
    Anita

4. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

When I look at adding herbs to soaps one of the first things I do now is think about the amount of oil a plant has naturally. Peppermint has a lot of natural oil. So thus the reason for the halo, it disspells or seeps, which ever way you want to see it, through the adjoining area as it cures. So keep that in mind when planning herbs for soap. And make sure your herbs themselves are clean looking with no molds or powdery mildew.

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I use herbs alot, and yes, they will give off a halo after a while.
    Most of my herbs are from natural teas. I use peppermint, chamomile, etc.
    I have found that if I make the tea with the herb, use the water as water in lye, and then empty the wet tea into my oils, they don't put off the halo as much.. I guess the heating and steeping takes some of the color out to cause less bleeding in the soap.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have used Mexican tarragon, Lavender, Candula and mint and they all turn dark but no halos.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A trick is to also add green clays or micas. I use a green mica in my cucumber so it keeps it's pretty light green color and with my teas and herbs I will swirl with green clay or just add some green clay to the soap. Vicki

8. Anita Martin

Vicki, thats a great idea! I think the soaps are much more interesting with herbs and powders added.
    Anita