Hematoma

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by old dominion, May 11, 2008.

1. old dominion

old dominion New Member

16 months ago during my annual blood work a new vet just out of school drew blood on a doe which developed a hematoma. The hematoma has reduced in size but now is very hard and the size of a gum ball. During this years blood work the vet said she could try to drain it but she thought it would come back.

It wouldn't concern me but it is unsightly. I know what it is and it isn't anywhere a lymph node, but I don't think I would make it through a vet check at a show.

Am I stuck or have any of you had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Jolene

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've never had this happen from a blood draw, but some of my goats get lumps from their CDT shots. I've never had any problems with them at shows. If you're concerned, you could have the vet state what the lump is on her health certificate. Kathie

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Hematomas can form after a blood draw. The cutting edge of the needle wasn't turned right and it actually cut into the vein. The blood leaks back under the skin...but usually disappears in a few days. 16 mo. from the initial draw??....there's an awful big leak from that draw! You now have a dried blood clot there. It won't do any good to drain it. It's firm. Only other way to get it out is surgically and if I'm guessing right...it's right next to the jugular...NOT a GOOD PLACE to attemp surgery.

I would suggest some DMSO...but it's still not going to draw it down to nothing. Anytime a hematoma resulted from an IV stick, we used DMSO on it, immediately. Even blood draws from dogs legs.
    Kaye

4. old dominion

old dominion New Member

You are right Kaye, it is hard. Didn't even think about DMSO since I have never had a hematoma from a blood draw.

Thanks again

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

What does the DMSO do ?? as I use it on myself :blush

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

DMSO helps to break things up.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

it also is a great carrier of other things into the body but you don't want to also carry dirt and germs so..............

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yes, you will notice if you put it on your skin, you will immediately taste it in your mouth! Kind of a corn taste.