Helpful Tips

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by UnRuli Acres, Dec 25, 2007.

1. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

I could swear there was a thread on here at one time regarding helpful hints, but I can't seem to find it. At the time I didn't think I had anything to contribute, but I just thought of something.

* To keep your hoof shears sharp keep sandpaper on hand. Fold the sandpaper in half so the grit side is out and then cut the paper a few times with your shears. The action of cutting through the sandpaper sharpens your shears very nicely! I had the same pair of shears for 6 years. My shears were sharp to the end (I still have them, but no longer have a use for them) and this was the only method I used to sharpen them. I also use this sharpening method on my scissors.

* Use a tote with a removable lid to store all your clean kidding towels. When kidding you can take the lid off, stack the towels on the lid and then use the bin to set mostly dried off kids in (I usually put the kids in while they're partially wrapped in a towel or with a towel on the bottom of the bin). It keeps the kids out of drafts, up off the dirty ground and keeps them contained while you're dealing with the doe or more kids coming. The bins are super easy to clean and can be bleached if necessary. They also keep your clean towels in the barn nearby where you need them.

* When you get meds put a label on the med stating the dosage given per lb (or per 5, 10, or 50 lbs) because meds rarely state the dosage for goats on the bottle. This way you don't have to run to the house or search to get the proper dosage and you don't have to try to remember (possibly getting it wrong during the stress of the moment). You now only need to calculate the dosage for the weight of the animal you're giving it to.

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've done the sandpaper thing (it works!) & in a fit last year, when I couldn't see the dosage on the bottle, my eyes get worse every year :shrug I wrote it on all the bottles in LARGE sharpie (black magic marker) so I don't have to go searching for my glasses :/
    But that second one :wow What a great idea! :handclap
    Thanks!

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

WOW! Just bought yet another hoof clipper.....I must have 5 dull pairs- will have to try this

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'll have to try the sandpaper on the hoof trimmers. I already store old towels in totes in my garage to keep the mice out of them. I have another bigger tote I use when I bring kids into the house. I like to put a puppy training pad under the towel to absorb the urine. I buy both the towels and puppy pads at the thrift shore. For anyone having problems finding old towels, your local thrift store will likely bag their "salvage" towels into rag bags for you.

5. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

what grain/guage of sandpaper do you use? Shannon

6. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

On scissors for the barn I use a medium grit, house scissors get a fine grit and hoof snips get medium to medium-coarse. In other words, if a smooth cut isn't required it doesn't really matter if you use a coarser grit.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

man am going to try this as just had 4 pair sharpened and they didn't do the greatest job either.