Help1 I'm new at this

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by crittermom, Mar 25, 2008.

1. crittermom

crittermom New Member

I just got my 1st goat a week ago on Saturday. He had scours when I got him and was on replacer milk. He is only 4 wks old, and is a pygora. On Tuesday I wormed him after another goat mom said he probably had worms, and also she said it was his replacer milk giving him the runs. On Wed. he was disbudded by a local vet who has minimal experience with goats. Thursday he refused his bottle at first and I immediately called the vet. He said penicillin injections 2xs per day at 1cc each time for 5 days. He did start eating w/in a few hours. I am terrible at shots. I did it for three days. He seemed to feel better too. Much more perky and silly. At this point I have learned that I can transition him to cows milk (I'm doing that now) to help with the scours. He does have a cold though. Runny nose, some congestion and a little bit of a cough. I'm just wondering if I am doing everything that I should be for him or if there is anything else that will help the scours and cold. I weighed him yesterday because he feels heavier than before and he's 8 lbs. It's still pretty cold here (SW Michigan) so for now he's staying indoors and sleeps in a dog crate at night so he doesn't freeze with all the diarrhea at night.
    Thanks, Teresa

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

You need to continue antibiotics for at least 5 days . He probally should get bo-se . He should also be started on coccidia prevention.

Start reading goatkeeping 101 . You will find everything you need there . I think there is a new thread that is about caring for an infant straight on up.

Patty

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Teresa, I wouldn't transition him to cow milk, I would move him to cow milk, and move him at his next feeding.. stop cold turkey that formula stuff! and as Patty says, 5 days minimum on the Penicillin. You don't want resistance, no matter how bad you are at giving shots. :D
    If you have access to some slippery-elm bark powder, 1/2 tsp 2x a day for a couple of days will help with the scouring. You could even continue at once a day for a week, it won't constipate him.
    What would you do for yourself, if you had that same cold? if it's just a runny nose, then keep it wiped. coughing, you could use a childs expectorant.. just needing over the hump, if he'll mouth some powdered Vit-C that will help.
    If today is day 4 of your penicillin shots, give it! don't just stop because he seems to be feeling better, you'll just be setting him up to fail.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep keep up the antibiotics/ cocci treatment and get off the replacer immediatly use Vit D whole milk from the grocery store. I also use Vit C and exspectorhist and always use B Complex and probios when giving antibiotics.

5. crittermom

crittermom New Member

Hey everyone,
    Thanks for all the great advice. He is on whole cows milk now, the cocci treatment is on its way-should be here soon, and I ordered some of the slippery elm bark today. I also gave him his antibiotics today too! I'm bad at it but got it done anyway. Yeah!!! Today was a little better than yesterday so we are making progress. I'm glad I found this site, now I know I am not alone.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

nope you certainly aren't alone we are all in or have been in the same boat. you know tho that goats are herd animals so this little fellow needs a friend. Part of his problem could also be stress from being ALONE

7. crittermom

crittermom New Member

We are working on that but I want him well before adding another one who will wind up sick. One sick goat passes on his sickness to the other goat just like kids.