Help! ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:help

Is this doe pregnant?

The link to the picture is here. Scroll down. You'll find it above a poll on the pregnancy topic. I'm new at this. I can use some help. She'll be a first freshener. I swear I can feel the rumen rumbling, yes....but the kid/kids as well. They were very active this morning and this evening. Can you look at the picture and tell me what you all think. Is she pregnant. If she is for sure, she'll probably be due mid-late March. Thanks!

http://www.freewebs.com/shykidalpines/theshykids.htm

-Kimberly

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

she appears to look pg yes but I would like to see a vulva picture to say yes for sure.

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Sondra, for the future what will the vulva look like if a doe is pregnant?

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

My answer is a definite yes
    ok now not that this is correct way of discribing or looking at it, and some others use smiley wrinkles which I haven't figured out yet.. But in an unbred doe the bottom tip of the vulva (lips) is curled up in a bred doe it is elongated as this one is and this you will generally see soon after they have been bred. However this girl is not ready to freshen today :)

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Hee hee. I was hoping you'd say that. I did not know that about the vulva looking like that though. Does this mean that it looks like that all throughout the pregnancy and will return to the "curled up" position after she kids? Or that she only looks like that soon after she is bred??? Cause I can already feel the kid/kids. 98% positive that is. I've only had one pregnant doe before and that was twenty years ago when I was in 4-H. Can't remember much about this particular area. I better learn quick, huh?

I also have another problem I'm trying to figure out with her. The breeding was an accident. I do not know when she is due. I am guessing mid-late March. What do you think? Her udder is developing a little. I can feel the kid/kids moving about and butting/kicking, and...well...you saw her top-view picture on the "SHYKIDS" page on my site, right? She looks like she swallowed a volleyball. :D

When is she due? When should I check up on her more frequently? :sigh I'm a nervous first-time goat momma.
    In case you haven't seen the pic. The link is here: http://www.freewebs.com/shykidalpines/theshykids.htm

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!

-Kimberly

With all that I feel in here is it at all possible that she is due in May??? I know the buck was with her in December. He got loose before that but I made no note of it because he was on the opposite side of a 5-line electric fence. Didn't think anything was possible at the time. LOL

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Her vulva looks like my does' who are due in March. Kathie

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Kathie. I hope so.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My doelings who are due in April are just starting to make udders and I can't feel their kids. Those due in May aren't making any udders yet. With pen bred does and no exact due date, I watch mine closely and I can usually tell the day they will kid. Their udders suddenly become full and their ligaments loose. They also nest more. Kathie

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Kathie. That pretty much confirms my suspicions that she's probably due in March. "Nesting?" Is that when they paw the ground and look at their belly a lot? Describe nesting please. (Can you tell I'm new at this? ;) )

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The week my does are due, they begin seeking out a private spot in one of my goat houses and spend more time laying around. The day they deliver, they start the pawing and butting the other goats out of their space. Some of them talk to their bellies.
    Hey, I wanted to ask you. Are those beautiful mountains on your website actually visible from your farm? I've never been to NY. They remind me of areas of the Rockies. Kathie

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Kathie- I really wish those mountain were visible from here, but no... It is unfortuneatly just a website template I chose amoung many. I figured Alpine...Mountains. It just looked like it fit. Freewebs.com is what I used to build it.-Kimberly