Help with possible CL

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by johnneo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. johnneo

johnneo Guest

I have a Nubian milking doe. I discovered an abscess on her right hip just below her spine. It ruptured and I drained it. I kept her away from the rest of the flock but it is not healing well. I am not sure if it really is CL and if I can still test for it. I have seen a lot on CL and it does look a lot like it, except it seems rather far away from the lymph nodes. Could it be a spider bite? I know where to send for test but I do not know how to draw blood and if it will work for the testing.
    Thank you for any advice you could give me.
    Johnne O

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

IN GOAT 101 there is a very good reference to "How to Draw Blood" also in 101 are addresses for different labs.
    There are many types of causes for abcesses even a splinter will cause an abcess.

3. johnneo

johnneo Guest

Thank you Sondra,
    I was looking for that in search and could not find it. Do all abscess look like the cheesy CL ones?
    Johnne

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just a minute and will get you some pictures.

5. johnneo

johnneo Guest

Thank you. Two more questions. If this is CL can it pass to humans through the milk and should we not drink it until we know for sure? We haven't been drinking it for a while now because I wasn't sure.
    Johnne

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I know it is very contagious via draining to both humans and other stock. but I don't know abt milk

heres some pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My understanding is that it is possible for abcesses to rupture inside the udder and it can be infective that way.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes that is true if they have internal abcesses also I forgot abt that aspect so NO I would not drink her milk myself until you find out for sure. However just my opinion is that where this is at most likely was cause by a splinter or something else. But by all means have her tested. Does the spot still have pus? if so get a sample to your vet and have it tested if you can't draw the blood.

9. johnneo

johnneo Guest

Thank you. I lost connection there for awhile. My husband seems to think that maybe it was caused by a spider bite because of the location of the spot. He gave her a shot of vitamin B yesterday and today she is doing better. In fact if seems as soon as the puss was gone she was doing better. I will have him draw blood and continue to dispose of the milk until we know for sure. Thank you for your advice.

Johnne

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What you are describing isn't a normal CL abscess. They are really self limiting, they ripen, burst and close up. There life is to burst and infect everything. They do not stay open, in fact it's hard to keep them open so they heal from the bottom outward. When removed they are incapsulated, like pulling a golfball out of the skin. vicki

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I had a problem with those so called friendly black spiders with the white spots a few of my goats would go under an old trailer we had out back and bite the does along their back and neck cause small abcesses abt the size of your little finger tip. but if you looked real close you could see two fang marks. Took forever to heal up.

12. johnneo

johnneo Guest

Thank you Vicki for discribing it like that. This was pus that I was pulling out like cheese sticks. In fact when I saw it my first thought was that it might be a spider bite. We have a lot of different spiders around here. It came up so quickly. It is actually healing from the outside first and not healing on the inside very well. I really do feel that it is a spider bite but I am going to draw blood and send it in anyway.

Thank you again for your help.
    Johnne :biggrin

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

keep it open so it will drain take a syringe with 3% drug store hydrogen peroxide and flush it out.

14. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have drained vaccine abscesses before on my goats...it's usually like toothpaste. Very thick, even though it's not CL. You can't know if it is for sure unless you send it in to be tested. However, that doesn't sound like a typical spot for it.

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep spiders here also, and last night a copper head. vicki