help with mold size for walmart recipe

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by chewie, Nov 17, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

http://coloradoorganics.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=502

my dad or a friend is going to make me a wooden slab mold. i am wanting something like this one but am having a terrible time with the size. i am using the walmart recipe, slightly tweaked. every 'formula' i try to use to figure size, nothing seems to work out (lb of oils or lb of oils)

right now i am thinking to use a mold about 18x14, making 30 bars about an inch thick. any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

MM mold is 12 x 16 x 1.75

3. chewie

chewie New Member

and the walmart recipe would fit in there? i have been using a cardboard box that is 12x18, but would like the bars a bit larger (they are 2x3) but not as thick, (1.5).

some site say pounds of soap, some say pounds of oils, some i'm not sure what poundage they are referring to, so i am having a hard time figuring out a size. to be more presice, i'd go 17.5 x 13.5, to give me bars that are 3.5x 2.25, and i'd like them an inch thick.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

walmart recipe is considered a 7lb batch believe that means oils and butters yes the MM mold makes at least a 6 oz bar of soap and is 1.5 in thick of course it is 3 compartments so the actual width is of ea. is like 3 7/8 in not 4 in.

5. chewie

chewie New Member

and how are you cutting this slab?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK if you cut like this you'll get aprox 5.5oz pieces of soap keep in mind this is a Martha Mold so is 3 logs then the red lines are the cut and they are aprox 2 1/4 in apart. so you get 7 bars per log.
    [​IMG]

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If your going to make one from wood then I would make them separate logs with removable sides and a lid for insulation this would mean less cutting than a box 12 x 16 where you have to then cut the logs first then the bars.

8. chewie

chewie New Member

that was another thought, to have 3 loafs instead of a big slab. in the last week, cutting the 4 batches i've made with the boxes, the cutting gets old. i was asking how you are cutting yours as in, with what do you cut with? a knife of sorts, or one like on that link i had?

so if i go with a loaf, i just get one that says 'for 7lb' loaf? i worry they may mean 7lb of soap total, some make no clarification as to oils or total wt. what about this ?..... do i need to keep in mind the amt. of liquids, or just go with oils? i am so confused!! :sigh
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-5-SOAP-MOLDS-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just use a clever type knife and haven't purchased a miter box yet.