Help with goats water please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, May 8, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I have the very worst water ever. Smelly, full of iron, just nasty. We actually were giving it to our livestock for the last two years, but then I read what some of you guys goats are drinking and I switched to rain water hoping I would see and increase in milk production. I use a mesh strainer with a paper towel in it to strain out anything from the water (leaves, bugs) and it is dumped often so there's no algae or mosquitos and stuff.

They just do not drink much! their buckets hardly have anything out of them when I change them out morning and night (or if I see they have gotten icky for some reason). I was hoping they would drink more! My pregnant does urine is REALLY yellow! It concerns me. They are out on browse which in these parts is really green and wet, but it still doesn't seem enough.

Madam is giving me a little less than a gallon a day (still haven't weighed it yet) but I think she could do more.

any clues for me here? Why don't they drink the gallons you all say yours do?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

try some kool aid in it and see if that helps.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are they eating their loose minerals and is there salt in it? Vicki

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

No, they hate thier minerals. The only kind they seem to like is sweet lix which I read was bad here? So I've been trying to switch and the last two I've gotten they don't touch.
    Yes there is salt - one has way to much - 40% and the other about 12 %

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well then that is your problem they aren't getting any minerals /salt they don't drink as well maybe try drippling some oil over their grain or alfalfa pellets and mix in the minerals.