help with feeder for babies

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Suthrn, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Suthrn

Suthrn New Member

Good morning everyone!!
    I've had goats for years but not any in the last five years. I've usually had pgymies but now have boer (a nanny and two babies) I need to know how to "fix" a feeder where the babies can eat whenever they need to during the day but keep mom out. What do ya'll do??

I'm off today at noon to go to an autism conference in Ft. Worth so will be looking for your ieas when I get back!!

Thanks for all the help, I love reading this forum.
    Linda in E. Texas (suthrn) ;)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NOT fair that you didn't let me know before hand you were coming to Ft Worth. ;)
    use a cattle panel across a corner the babies can get thru but moms can't

3. Suthrn

Suthrn New Member

:/ AWWW, well I'll be there thru Friday... my cell is xxxxxxx if you want to holler at me. lol...

Ok that seems simple enough on the feeder.. thanks!!!

Linda

edited to take out phone number from an open forum. Thanks Sondra

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I put up a corral board fence around a small loafing shed. Babies could fit through the boards. Make sure and put on really close to the ground you don't want them going under the board by the ground because they will eventually have a hole there that some moms could eventaully fit through. Have the second board high enough so kids can get through but moms can't fit their shoulders through. Then use the exact same feeder you feed mom with in this bulding (or hoop house etc) or even an stall in the same barn. This way the kids could get away from mean other moms, eat their own hay and eat their own minerals and grain. I could also then have higher feeders with the dams that the kids couldn't jump into and sleep. Put the board on with screws so you can move it when you need to, and be able to put it back up without breaking the boards popping nails off and on. Vicki