Help with emergency calcium choices

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Feb 7, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I am confused about emergency calcium treatments. :crazy

I'd rather inject than drench or try oral stuff, but not sure about using the gluconate 23%. Either y'all are going to talk me through using that or suggest another injectable.

On the oral side don't want something that burns them up - which is what y'all say about the CMPK gel, Goat's Prefer Drench - stuff w/ propylene glycol - right?

The oral CMPK liquid (at QC supply) only states cal, phos, mag, pot, and dextrose no amounts...
    MFO (at jeffer's) per 500ml 10 gr. cal (borogluconate), 6 gr phos, 2.8 gr mag,.5 gr pot, 75 gr dex... As far as I can tell the proportions of minerals in MFO is comparable to the CMPK gel. In the gel the propylene glycol (for energy?)and in the MFO there is the dextrose.

Or I go back to Sue Reith's substitute. I got confused in the article about when she was talking CMPK, liquid human cal/mag, and tablet forms. Perhaps some one could interpret for me? Where is she talking about the CMPK and where is she talking liquid cal/mag.
    I did get that in the recipe from tablets there should be-
    600 mg cal
    266 mg phos
    100 mg mag
    500 mg pot

In 32 ml/cc of MFO (16 doses per bottle I rounded off for even ml doses ... divided the 500ml bottle by 16) there is-
    625 mg cal
    375 mg phos
    175 mg mag
    31.25 mg pot
    Potassium is way way lower in the MFO. and WOW 32 ccs!! :help2 every 2 hrs.

OK, clear as mud?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK if you have a sick doe you need injectable cmpk from the vet.
    I use the liquid cmpk or make my own per Sue's recipe I found the liquid calcium magnesium at the health food store. (KAL) brand name has
    600mg cal 300mg Phos 300mg of Mag 500 IU of Vit D per 15 cc then I got the Potassium in another bottle

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Call your farm vet and ask to get the RX meds needed for emergencies if you can't get them then contact me privately. you need the injectable on hand and then follow up with the home brew or liquid.

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

For the sake of being able to appear intelligent and informed at my next "vet visit" what is the dosage for injectable CMPK?

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I use Norcalciphos, which is similar to CMPK. My vet presctibed 30cc subQ twice a day and said that since so much is given at a time, to give it in several spots.

7. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

MFO is good orally - just add some gatorade to it so that it isn't so harsh. We have given it this way to our does when they made us nervous and also to Titania when she got shaky on us the day after kidding. One dose of the MFO - 60ccs - and she was back on her feet and fine. For a goat with ketosis or milk fever everyone recommends the injectable CMPK (the does hate it because it burns, and I hate it because they usually get an owie there).

Dose for CMPK is 30ccs SubQ. Warmed is better (not so painful, they say, but my goats don't agree).
    Use an 18 gauge needle, it is hard to get that stuff in.