Help with Doe Vomiting

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, May 8, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

FF kidded 4/3, was standing in the corner and being quiet - how I knew something was wrong. I brought her in to be milked and it looks like someone threw up on her. it was all over her. It was odd in that it didn't smell like slung cud. Cleaned her up and milked her 1/2 way out and she regurgitated water (liquid) on the floor. No odor there either that I could tell. She won't eat, but she is at the outside water pan. Temp is 103. She is alert & calling when I leave. ?????

2. coso

coso Guest

Sounds like some kind of poisoning. My goats got out in the yard the other night and one got a little bit of azalea bush. The next morning she was slinging cud. I tried to put a bloat pill down her that I had crushed up and mixed with water. I drenched about 10cc down her and all of it came back up. I tried Pepto Bismol and she did the same thing. She moped around the rest of the day and was off in her milk that night but she was fine the next morning. If she had gotten more of it I'm sure she probably wouldn't have made it. I got out the next morning with the tractor and front end loader. No more azalea bushes. If you have activated charcoal you could try to put that down her, also I looked it up in Goat Medicine book and there was something you could get from the vet. But I can't think of it off the top of my head and I'm at work now without the book. Good luck.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Nothing poisonous growing out here. They've been munching on these plants for years.. the only thing I can think of that may be the culprit is that we've had quite a bit of rain, and she may have drank from (1) a nasty puddle or (2) out of the nasty bathtub.
    I don't think I can take another sick goat... :nooo

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

check any hay for night shade those berries.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And it could be choke. A goat can't throw up, they can sling cud out of their cheek but to get anything back up their neck from their rumen it has to have the flap open and it only goes one way. Something in her esophogus keeping it open would give you rumen contents.

Does she have rumen sounds? If she doesn't it's and emergency. Without her cudding and her rumen churning every few mintues the contents will ferment or worse impact. Vicki

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Maybe it was stuff that hadn't made it all the way down? she never 'threw up' like making the gagging sound or anything, it just came out her mouth. She is, what we would call at work, bright, alert & responsive. When I left for work, I didn't hear much, but could see rumen movement while I was milking the other doe.
    Tonight, I didn't get a temp on her, but she was more alert, wanted in when it was her turn, ate a small (and I mean small) amount of beet pulp, and while I was milking her, threw that up, or slung it out her mouth, I wasn't facing that'a way.
    Cleaned her up, let her sit a moment while I shooshed everyone else out, and gave her a "cookie" which she promptly ate and kept down. she seems hungry.
    My Dh said this happened about a month ago (my sticky-spit post) after it had rained for a few days... maybe they're eating too much wet grass and getting tummy aches?
    I have no idea... :sigh

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I'm with Vicki on this one....it sounds like an obstruction in her throat. I'd be tubing her to try to clear it. Ruminants don't have the ability to throw up. They will drool,slobber,thow their cud but they don't throw up. When a blockage is there...they will not be able to get what they eat down.
    This doe needs a vet if you're not able to tube her and find the obstruction.
    Kaye

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Great... I've been at work all day. :/ so no "goat" vet help here.
    Question. Yesterday, after I found her, and she yucked up while milking, I noticed that so far, the only time she's done it since, is when I milk her. :really Good grief, I didn't want to milk her at all tonight, but she was quite full. As soon as I got going with milking, she shook her head like she's getting something out of her ear and then up came some liquid. Her sister did the exact same thing (sticky spit post) for a few days and then just quit.
    She was nibbling pellets when I got home, and had been picking at the hay, which was in my opinion a good thing. I'm at a loss what to think. Wouldn't there be other symptoms if she were "choke" ing?
    There's no way I can tube her on my own, she is way to fiesty and strong. I'd be afraid I'd hurt her even worse.
    I am such a weeinee :down