help with doe not eating

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, May 23, 2008.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Went out to feed the goats their alfalfa pellets 6pm today.

Kudzu, 1yr FF 3.5mo fresh already laying down in the barn. No interest in eating. Got her up okay. Noticed her stretching out several times.

temp 100.8. Eyelids pink (wormed at kidding w/ Quest)

Abdomen not bloated, but feels doughy- when I press in with fingers, leaves indentation like pushing into bread dough.
    No scouring that I noted.

I gave 30cc Nocalciphos SQ, about 300ml SQ fluids, banamine (thinking she had gut pain for some reason)

Milked fine this AM, ate normally. Usually milks 6-7 lbs per day. Gets 1lb barley with a bit of calf-manna at each milking, around 2 pounds alfalfa pellets in evening(working my way up to giving more)

Should I do anything else?

Donna

2. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Well, when I went out tonight to milk, she was milling around with everyone else, I saw her nibbling the leftovers in the alfalfa feeder. So, I offered her some alfalfa pellets on the milkstand, and she ate with her usual enthusiasm. We milked some out, but not all, just in case. Maybe she ate something that gave her a bellyache? Maybe the banamine helped....
    I will keep an eye on her.

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Hate to scare you, but please read the milk fever/hypocalcemia posts and info in goatkeeping 101. Just to get you familiar with the signs.

Keep a close eye on her, and take her temp in the morning.

I think you did well to treat her right away.

4. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Yes, I've read the article several times, that's why I got nervous as soon as I saw her off her feed-
    I will temp her in the AM.

Thank you!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

that temp is rather low so watch real close.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would run a fecal. First because of your area and secondly because you used a paste wormer that it is tough to know if you got a good dosage or not. The stuff is made to give a horse the whole tube or half a tube and you are using a couple inches of the stuff.

Not all stomach worms show up as anemia. By the time you see anemia the goat is dieing. Vicki