Help! Weak kid, breathing/bloat problems...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by amyrob, Apr 12, 2008.

1. amyrob

amyrob Guest

I have a little nubian guy born on wednesday that was born in the sac. I broke it immediately and cleaned him off. Swung him a bit to help clear his lungs. He is eating but only a little at a time and I wonder about his swallowing. This am, he was bloated and my hubby saw him frothy around the mouth this am. We tubed him and did give a little oil as it didn't seem like gassy bloat because there was no immediate relief. He had a little bose this am and I will repeat tomorrow. I also gave him a dose on Penicillan and yes, mom did have bose shot a few weeks ago. Sister is doing fine despite her being breach. Good thing we were home for this one. This afternoon, gave him a bit of pepto to see if that helps any. He can stand and walk but is down quite a bit.

What suggestions do you have?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If he is having trouble breathing this could be ambiotic fluids pneumonia I would treat with naxel myself also if bloated would put a dab of baking soda on his tongue. go read up on Floppy Kid in Goat 101 and see if it fits his bill.

3. amyrob

amyrob Guest

I did before I posted actually and am following that so far. Don't have naxel. Is it an antibiotic?

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

My first suggestion, is to stop putting a bunch of stuff in him. :D If he can't process his milk, he's not going to make it. Your giving him oil that will give him diarrhea, then your giving him Pepto to stop him up.. what are you trying to accomplish? I really hate Pepto for animals, it will darken stools and can mask internal bleeding.
    Bose is fine, but starting a little one like that on Pen, with no reason to start, and you know you have to continue for a minimum of 5 days... One shot just aint going to do anything for ya.
    He's only 3 days old.. some of them take a while to really latch onto the nipple and suck away.. even running around, some go a lot quicker than others. Give him time. Is the milk your giving 100*f ? a pinch of baking soda in his bottle would go a long way, as will some slippery elm bark, which is great for diarrhea as well as coating the lining of the intestines, if you can get your hands on some.
    I'm sure there will be many great suggestions for you!
    Good luck with the little fellow~

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Stacy is probably right on this and I totally agree not to be putting oil in him or pepto.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You have to be careful placeing baking soda on the tongue of a kid, it can make them colapse, whether it goes into their lung or messes with their electrolyte balance going into the mucous membranes immediatly like that, it is dangerous. A little in the bottle is fine, but too much and they refuse the bottle.

If he didn't get enough oxygen at birth than this failure to thrive will continue. Not all kids can make it.

If you choose to use an antibiotic, pennicillin is just rarely the one to choose. Any 200mg tetracycline would be better, and I don't know how I could get through kidding season without banamine.

If his lungs are rattly than using an antibiotic subq is best, but along with banamine it simply works better. If you are treating the sloshy belly, you either fill them with pepto and then go right to milk, but don't keep on and on with anything other than milk or he can't keep himself warm or grow.

I have described how the process of a kid drinking milk, it mixes with the saliva and makes the milk acid, then curds in the stomach...search for the rest....anything you do to stop this cheese formation hurts the kid. Vicki

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat

So, how's he doin??

8. amyrob

amyrob Guest

He's hanging on. Still the same.

Vicki, so you say that the saliva w/ milk is a good thing? Are you suggesting I give pepto before feeding his milk?

9. reedfarm

reedfarm Guest

It doesn't sound like floppy kid if he is standing. Make sure he is kept warm. Keep giving bose and maybe he will surprise us all. Good Luck!
    Kris
    reedfarm.net

10. NubianSoaps.com

If you give pepto or anything else orally, give it, then get right back onto milk without dosing and dosing again oral meds. If you need meds use them subq. Anything oral that stops the curd formation means days he will not eat because his tummy hurts, he has diarrhea and is not absorbing nutritents from the milk. IF he is constipated use rectal supositories for babies. Vicki

11. amyrob

amyrob Guest

He's definitely more and more perky but definitely bloated and that is why I think he breathes the way he does. Is taking the bottle better and better. You can tap his sides and hear hollow sounds. Stands hunched. Did a suppository but don't see any huge result. Temp was 102.8. What else can I do for the bloating and gas on this tiny guy?

12. LMonty

LMonty New Member

gas-ex, anything OTC simethicone from the drug store. 80 to 160 mg. it breaks up the gas bubbles. and its pretty harmless if theres another cause it wont complicate anything. you can repeat it a time or two if needed. I'd avoid the maalox with simethicone because its constipating. straight simethicone is better.
    done it, it works for bloat if you catch it in time. then make sure you give the probios or kefir for that developing little rumen, so you decrease the chance of more trouble. if he is taking a bottle, you can put both in the milk. I assume youre using real milk, and not replacer? If youre using replacer-please get rid of it and use straight 4% cows milk from the drug store. replacer kills lots of kids by bloating them.

13. amyrob

amyrob Guest

Yes, he's on goat milk only!.. I have 8 other does due in the next month and 1/2, so no shortage there!! I tried some Gas-X last night and it seemed to help some. I'll try again. He is eating well but I'm sure he'll bloat up each time. The only probios I have is for horses. Can I use that?

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've use horse probios on goats. I donm't think it's much different than the cow stuff. Kathie

15. amyrob

amyrob Guest

The little guy is doing a whole lot better. I think his belly is on the mend. Haven't really had to give him anything but probios for the last few days. He is much more perky. Small, but perky! Probably weighs 1/2 of what his sister weighs.

16. NubianSoaps.com

I love using the probios horse tube paste. I just swipe a lima bean size amount into their mouths for a few days after birth. Tiny kids may get it for a week. It simply helps add bacteria to their tiny tummies so they can curd that milk before it goes acid and forms gas. Glad he is on the mend. Also when they are tiny like that you have to really watch how much you let them eat in the beginning! Vicki