HELP w/ Pink Eye

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by maddawf, Dec 11, 2007.

1. maddawf

maddawf New Member

Hi, my name is Shana & I usually just lurk here to learn but I now have a question. We have had goats for 11 yrs and for the first time we have Pink Eye (I think). Her eyes started with a discharge... then started swelling and now have a slight white film covering over her cornea which has now made it where she cannot see. We have given her several shots of LA 200, PCN and squirted PCN in her eye at the suggestion of a vet and eye ointment as well in her eye.....None of this has seem to help....slowed it down at best. Can anyone tell me please what to do. Also is she now blind since the film is on there? This is a hard lesson learned, my husband brought home a goat and she didn't show signs of having anything and we didn't quarantine her (should have) and then she started having a discharge from her eyes a couple of days after bringing her home and she is fine (of course) but its my favorite goat that has to get this :down.... So please any help would be appreciated. I am at my wits end :help2

Thanks for your time in advance,

Shana

2. Ashley

Ashley New Member

One of my goats just got over pink eye. I don't use drugs, I used herbs.

I used a mix we make, it's garlic, onion, habanero pepper, horseradish and ginger, chopped fine and extracted for a long time in iunfiltered ACV, which I gave 2-3 times per day.

In your case you could give her garlic since you don't have this mix. I would give a large amount. I also made a small amount of eyebright tea, real strong and put it in the fridge with the eyebright herb still in it. I put this in his eye several times per day, and gave a little orally too. His eye had the white film, but it went away, you just can't let it get too bad or it can blind them.

3. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Shana,
    What does the PCN stand for? We have used triple antibiotic eye ointment on our most stubborn cases and it has helped, though it can be difficult to get it under the eyelid as directed, because the doe moves her head so much. You get pretty good at it fast.
    Tim

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Ok, on garlic , my book says to give leaves as well as bulb if possible. It says to give several bulbs (not just cloves) for a goat. I know my goats crave garlic leaf and will destroy the plants eating all the leaves as fast as they grow. I don't know if they would like the bulb to take it easily.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

squirt of LA200 in the eye and patch her eye light of any kind hurts them.

6. maddawf

maddawf New Member

Thanks so much for all the replies, def. going to give them a try.

Also Ashley what is ACV?

Tim..PCN stands for penicillin...sorry, I am a nurse so I tend to use the shortened version.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Apple Cider Vinegar

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No matter what you do, and systemic antibiotics is for cattle pinkeye, not goat pinkeye unless you have done a culture and you know it's chlamydia or mycoplasma. There is also a vaccine for cattle pinkeye that won't work on goats. Then oral tetracycline would be in order, for most of the rest of the winter, certainly through kidding if your does are bred.

Pink eye is a nuisance disease like ring worm and lice. Using antibiotics, other than as an eyewash to keep symptoms at bay or to keep secondary infections down, is wasteful and the reason we have antibiotic resistant bacteria now adays. Anything you choose to put in the eye that changes the PH, vinegar, portwine, antibiotics, gentacin, mastitis infusions, anything, will abate symptoms but will not make it go away any faster. Goats will develop blindness but it is temporary, when the pink eye leaves, so does the blindness.

It's ugly, it will likely hit the whole herd that doesn't have immunity to it and can cause herd wide abortions dependant upon what form this is. This time of year or right before breeding I would send in a culture to find out what you are dealing with. Then treat your bred does accordingly.

This doe after she gets through this would be a perfect colostrum donor to inoculate your kid crop.

Welcome out of lurkdom. Vicki

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Something that works great for pink eye is the drop for humans, Zymar. It is a prescription drop & is expensive ($90 a small bottle), but it'll get rid of pink eye fast!