Help! Triplets going down *updated*

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Mar 6, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I am having a terrible time with the triplets born last night. Finally taking time to get on here and ask for help.

Only one buckling has ever really sucked well. He took about 6 oz of colostrum the second time I tried and another four later. The other two have had to be rubbed to swallow well and stimulated to make any effort sucking. All had 14-16 oz. colostrum in some way, but not tubed, before I finally went to bed for a couple hours. BoSe, probiotics, and vit E last night.
    We are now 18 hrs post kidding. No one will suck the bottle - lambar and pritchard - I've been trying off and on since 6 AM. Now 10 AM I tubed the two weakest 2 oz. each and syringed the one who sucked last night about an oz and will work on that again when finished here - he is walking around. Everybody got BoSe and E again. Passed some meconium and are peeing... the two weak ones could stand steady after being tubed, but still listless. All temps between 102.2 and 102.7.
    I have a bag of normosol (injectable electolytes) which the vet gave instead of lactated ringers. Wondering when it is time to use some of this to get them hydrated. *Edit- my brain is fried... I still think tubing them with colostrum/milk would be better than injections... Is this correct?
    Also wondering about a B complex.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Re: Help! Triplets going down

Are they in the house and warm?
    This is what I use instead of lactated ringers...it's suppose to keep the metabalism balanced, where there is a condition that too much LRS can cause. Use it just like LRS.

Hhhmm...try a pinch of baking soda in their colostrum or milk.
    Kaye

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Thanks will try add a pinch of baking soda.
    :help2 I have never used lactated ringers either so could you give me a few more details on when and how you would use.
    Oh and yes, they are in the house and warm.

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,1925.msg20973.html#msg20973
    Reading the above:
    How accurate is that info? Have any of you ever used CD antitoxin and antibiotics along w/ baking soda, BoSE, and vit E for Floppy Kid?

*update* the kids are a bit more lively now that they have a little milk in their bellies. Still no suck reflex :down but are swallowing with some coaxing. :sigh

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

What do these kids weigh, are they getting enough to eat, not enough means no energy... no warmth etc..
    Barbara

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Re: Help! Triplets going down *update* fevers, entero

Update:
    Buckling one : 7 3/4 lbs -is sucking now - just drank 8 oz. - total of 32 oz in 24 hrs.-temp 103.5- steady on feet- meconium all passed and yellow now - just sloshy tummy in last 15 minutes
    Doeling: 6 1/2 lbs - is sucking now - just drank 6 oz - total of 24 oz in 24 hrs. - temp 103.1- steady on feet- meconium all passed yellow now - sloshy tummy last 15 minutes
    Buckling two: 6 3/4 lbs - not sucking but swallowing - total of 24 oz in 24 hrs - temp 104 - problem back leg but tries to stand- meconium all passed and yellow now may be turning to diarhea? - very sloshy tummy

I am going to refresh my memory on the doses for CD antitoxin and administer. Please give me a detailed list of what you would be doing with these kids. I've been using a 1/8 tsp soda in 4 oz milk the last 2-3 feeds . Sorry I am so tired I'm not making sense.

Good news is my last doe kidded w/ triplets and they are all doing wonderfully even though the birth was a "trainwreck".

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

It's too early for any type of infection(7-10 days is the norm for an infection) to set in. Those may be their normal temps, now that they are moving around more.
    Sloshy belly are probably from finally getting enough milk in them. Entro usually doesn't set in until they are really consuming lots of milk. Or starting to eat feed/hay.
    I just treated a buckling last night for it...he's a month old, eating like a horse and DH put a handful of BOSS in their trough. Help feeding...I DON'T need. He refused the lambar, temp, and bloated. He's fine this morning and acts like he's starving for milk.

Don't start poking a lot of stuff in these babies...give them time and continue with the baking soda. An overload of milk can be just as bad as not enough.
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

agree with Kaye on this just feeding smaller amounts more often is better than too much at a time right now. 4 oz is good right now ever 3 or so hrs. and 1/8 tsp of bs is good in 4 to 6oz

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

OK Thanks for the quick response, I haven't started making pin cushions of them yet...

I am concerned about going in to the night (when I can't talk to you gals :lol) with these temps because this morning they were in the 102 range as are today's triplets that are doing fine.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ok first off they are in the house right? they are just now getting into action and you probably had just fed them warm milk so take temps again in a while and if you have a problem with it know that Vicki will be on usually around 10pm or so so email her temps usually go up in the afternoon also. the 104 temp is a little worrisome but the others aren't yet to me just because of their age. you might give the 104 a teeny tad of banamine. BUT Kaye didn't seem worried yet over it.

11. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Re: Help! Triplets going down *update*

Y'all were right! Mr. 104* is now 102.5*

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Good. You're learning to use your "eye" in their management.
    Kaye

14. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Got great suck on all these kids now... Only a tiny bit of tongue drooping...Temps are staying in the 102 range... Best of all in my opinion is that after the last feeding they did not get depressed and droop off in a corner, but were bouncing around! No sloshy tummies anymore so I guess that means they are making curd again. First feed of the morning I added more baking soda than before (as per some emailed advice- thanks!) and I think it paid off!!!! Wow!
    I know it is a busy time of year
    :yeahthat ;)
    So a HUGE thank you to all who take time to help me get my experience the easy way without losing kids right and left!

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey we all have been there:)

16. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

How are your kids doing now, hope they are gaining strength and weight by now.. bouncing around and driving you crazy...
    Barbara

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:biggrin Yeah! I was really hoping there would be a happy outcome to your troubles. I'm glad for you.

-Kim

18. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Yes, these kids are strong, bouncy, and moved out of the house this afternoon because they were starting to jump a 3' barrier. :lol ...They are getting 8 oz. 4x a day and the baking soda amount is down to a pinch per bottle.
    Our weather moderated and we have a nice kid pen set up outside in a shed with moderate heat source. They should be fine although I've worked, worried, and fussed over them so much I'm suffering a bit of separation anxiety! :laughcry Alright I was NOT with them every hour - I knew they needed a chance to rest - but maybe every 2-3 hours I was looking at them if not feeling them, seeing if they could get up, etc. :blush
    In case it helps some one else...
    After my last update I had two - one from each set of triplets- have full and sloshy tummies four hours after the previous feeding. VERY listless again... I tubed them with 1 tsp. of soda in an oz of milk. Checked them in one hour and the slosh was gone and tummy no longer full. Waited another 1/2 hour and fed them 4 oz of milk each with 1/2 drop rennet added to 8 oz. (diluted one drop in one tsp. water and used 1/2 tsp in the 8oz.) They drank eagerly and that has been the last of our trouble. I have since learned I could have used a tbsp of soda, followed by the rennet treated milk. Probably a whole drop of rennet would have been fine. If you could know me you'd see I usually err on the side of caution. ;) I still can hardly believe that I have all of these kids alive! If you could have seen them at one point they looked like they were going bye-bye, but never started dropping temps so the key was to get that milk digesting. Thanks again everybody and good luck to all! :D

19. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Good, happy that they all survived and are doing good..

20. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:biggrin Its so Great to hear good news!!!