HELP - snotty nosed turned to cough

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

18 mos. old doe, 110 lbs. yesterday had a snotty nose now has a cough. I have the following on hand:
    - terramycin scour tabs
    - terramycin soluble powder
    - b12 injections
    - neomycin oral solution
    - A D & E gel
    - nutridrench
    - lactated ingers

I have not found a vet yet as she is one of two newly acquired (2 weeks). There are other goat keepers in the area, but if I could start her on something I have that would be great. Thanks for your time!

2. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Just took her temp - 103....called to talk t the vet and they are done for the day :(

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK now if this were my goat I would just give her some people vit C and also people benedryl and see how she does. her temp is not too high right now. Then if her temp goes higher I would start her on oxytetracyline (SP) and get the knock off of LA200 as it doesn't sting. you can get this at the feed store or Tractor Supply. over the counter and you should keep it on hand anyway.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just want to add that with it being so dry there and the goats being new this could just be allergies from dust /hay etc. but just watch their temperature. on both goats

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

None of the oral preperations will work, they are fine for when you need to treat profilactically...like you have had some abortions, so instead of giving everyone tetracycline by shots you use it orally...but not for something acute.

I would get my any 200mg tetracycline on hand, biomycin is great oxytet is wonderful if all you can find is LA 200 next time you order anything from jeffers order yourself another 200 mg tetracycline. 3.5cc per 100 pounds every 12 hours for 3 shots if her fever spikes, mostly because you don't have banamine on hand and then once a day under the skin until she is 100%. Vicki

You don't have anything acute with this temp, it it does go up than yes.