Help. Sick young doe.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Here eyelids are 'white'. Evidence of scours dried on backend and off, laying around not eating like she should. My brain is blank. I can't think of anything. What should I do? Other than taking temp? Please assist asap. Thanks.

-A worried goat momma. (Kim)

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

She needs wormed now. Start on red cell , b vits and bo-se will help also.

If she is this bad yor whole herd should be wormed also.

Patty

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Also start her on coccidia treatment.

Kim when is the last time you wormed or ran a fecal sample ?

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I wormed them about two months ago. She was on Coccidia in late spring. APRIL or so. I don't have a microscope to do fecals and our local vet is a moron. Would probably would charge outrageously as he normally does.So as it goes I have not done fecals. :( I gave the whole herd BoSe and vit B shots about a week ago to give them a boost for entering breeding season. This doe and another will NOT be bred for a few months to come. They are young and not up to weight yet. I will deworm her now and start cocci. (And Deworm the rest of the herd too.) Um Patty, what is RedCell?

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Red Cell is a blood builder horse supplement.

Before you worry about breeding you need to get your management down . We all preach bout worming and coccidia prevention. This doeling should have been on prevention every 3 weeks . You mentioned your vet being expensive ..still cheaper than a dead doe .

If she has hade coccidia she will be stunted and stay small. You need to fecal worm and then fecal again to make sure what you are using is working . You invested alot of money from the girl in NY and Becky ...now spend some on a microscope it will save you a bunch in the end.

Patty

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Okay. I checked her records. She was last given corid in June. Still overdue. Being sick does not excuse me from this neglect. I feel bad. Thank you very much for your help.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You're about 3 coccidia treatments behind. When was the last time you wormed and with what?
    Kaye

8. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Last Dewormer: June 4th......Ivomec Plus -Orally. 1cc (Gave another dose tonight of dewormer and started on another 5-day Corid treatment. Will deworm again in 10 days.) I was under the impression that Corid need not be given EVERY 21 days for life or even the first year. I was under the impression that after two 5-day treatments 21 days apart was adequate. From what I am hearing now, this is not so. Shall I start the whole herd, even the adults on Corid again? I am a bit confused.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If you think you have a cocci problem, treat the kids. From what I've read on this forum, adult goats can develop polio if treated with corid, and also they usually don't have problems with coccidiosis. I would definately have a fecal run to see if your wormer is working. Kathie

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Being so far north you really have to find a local person to help you with your prevention management. Without fecaling it's guessing.

So guessing I would say you should ditch the Ivermectin except for cool weather worms and buy some cydectin to worm the herd with.

I would keep up the corid on my kids every 21 days until at least 6 months old, unless you are using a feed through pellet that contains a cocci med. I stop using Corid about 4 months because my kids are eating their pellets so well that contain dequinate...but I also fecal to make sure those numbers stay low or I give them a round of Corid.

I worm my kid pen monthly period until 9 months and bred, then I start fecaling them.

BUT I am also in the no freeze south. vicki

11. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you Vicki. Cydectin? Okay. This young doe is about 5 1/2 months old.

I will not treat the older ones with Corid then. Thankyou for that, Kathie.

Thank you all for your help in my goat's time of need. It is greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am still learning. In no way do I admit to knowing all. :) Thanks again.

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I am not real close to you...but similar climate. Cydectin works well here. I also need to keep kids on coccidia prevention every 3 weeks for the first six months. Both Corid (using the forum dosage) and the sulfas work for me.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kim call around and find a vet even a dog vet that will run fecals for you and how much it will cost. This is very cheap insurance regardless of the cost. Also don't be breeding any of the goats unless eyelids are very very pink/red and you know everyone is in good health.

14. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

How much does she weigh, if she is a full size doe 1 cc of ivermectin does not seem like the right amount.. ???? I will have to check on dosage, can't remember, just doesn't like much for a full size goat..
    Barbara

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

per Kaye

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

what breed of goats are these KIM?? seems like you told us in June that they weight between
    35 and 60 lbs (3) of them.

17. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I use regular ivermectin when not using cydectin and I also worm 3o to 35 lbs (1 cc)
    and I worm again in 10 days... three times
    Barbara

18. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi Kim,
    Sorry you are going through this. We've been really lucky at our farm with no deaths or major sickness or worm problems....due mostly to luck as I am a beginner too and have been lapsing on a few things according to how others do them on this list. I too stopped treating with corid at about 4 months and I need to do fecals. I've had no signs of it though, luckily.
    I don't know how close you are to an animal agriculture labratory, but we have one here in Lynchburg Va and I can just drop my fecals off with them for 5.50 a sample. They also take mail-in samples. My goat vet says they test way beyond what the vets can do as they have more equipment, which is more accurate, and recommended I take all of my samples there. I'll bet you have one of those places somewhere in your state. I'd suggest calling them, and finding out what info they need and then sending in your samples. I collect samples from similar goats, such as the babies, the milkers, and the buck/whether. They like the sample to be as fresh as possible. You might not need to fecal everyone, unless of course one goat was doing worse than the others, like the doe you mentioned. I don't know if this will help you get the quick result you need, but it might help you in the future.
    Good luck.
    Anita

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Remember guys cocci is silent too and will show no signs like diarreah etc and then whoops you've lost them so keep up your cocci prevention

20. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Sorry. Haven't been here to see all these wonderful, helpful posts. Thanks everyone. As per your question Sondra. My goats are Alpines. Standard sized. The littlest one now weights 53lbs a couple of weeks ago.

I reread the info on the dosages for Ivormec Plus. I was a little shy. I gave the 1cc/50lbs. I did not weigh her before hand. A couple of weeks ago she (tape) 53lbs. I'll give her a larger dose on her 10th day and then again in 10 days past that.

This will be her fourth day of Corid doses. And I live in a near wilderness area. Nothing is nearby. I will look into having our dog vet check the fecals.

:) Thanks again all, I hope I've answered everyone's questions.