Help sick yearling doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I have an alpine doeling one of my favorites of course, who is my escape artist. She is always a little pushy, but sweet. And she is always getting out of the pen and into the pasture. I don't try to stop her, cause she goes back in when she's through grazing. She is a very active doeling, but she was too small to breed this year. I noticed yesterday that she was standing off by herself, and looked kinda bowed up, hair standing out a little. She didn't fight for the feed at the trough like she usually does. So not knowing what was wrong and of course being late and in a hurry, I gave her some probios. Today, she is alert, and did go out to graze with the other girls when I "let" her out. inother words she did not try to escape on her own which is daily. So, I got out my trusty thermometer, and her temp is 105.8. Okay so from what I have read on posts here before, that is an indication of infection right? Any ideas what could cause a dry, never freshened doe to suddenly have a fever, infection?

I have biomycin, and some nuflor. Out of pen. I was thinking trying to get this with the biomycin. What does anyone here suggest? which antiobiotic, and dosage?

I have no earthly idea why she is even sick.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/ideas.

Sheryl

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Its not always a infection but its likely pnumonia...has she had a snotty nose or a real change in the weather? That would be my first guess...it can be treated with either Nuflor or BioMycin, and Pen-g too.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Bet it is pneumonia with the crazy weather we had last week. Would give her banamine and either of the antibiotics I guess I don't use Nuflor so am no help with it. I would use either Biomycin or Naxel myself and probalby go with the biomycin first and chg if needed.

4. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Nuflor is respiratory specific- gets the things that causes those kinds of distress.
    Use that if she has mucous or rattles when she breathes. Make sure she stays hydrated.
    Lee

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Thanks ya'll. I don't know what is wrong with this yearling. She started to eat grain tonight, then when all the others rushed to the trough, she backed away. I took her temp earlier, and it said 107? Wow can they go that high? The digital thermometer was screaming at me. I checked two other does' temps and they were both 102. something. So I think the thermometer is working.

Her stomach seems fine. She was walking earlier like her back end hurt or something, kinda hunched up, and she kept stoping in the pasture and laying down. She definitely doesn't feel good. She's not bloated, and she doesn't seem to be sloshy in the stomach. She has good color in her eyelids, though I'm sure she needs worming. She doesn't have snotty nose and she seems to be breathing fine, no rattle, no noise. I haven't seen her chewing cud today. Dd listened to her stomach and thought she heard rumin noises. So I have no idea. I went ahead and have her biomycin, and you'd have thought I killed her. I thought that was supposed to be no sting??? She laid down, and was biting at her side where I gave it. She finally got over that.

She is not grinding her teeth like she's in pain so I just don't know. But she definitely doesn't feel good. She is walking around/standing and she gave a good fight when I tried to take her temp about five hours later. It was 102 so I guess I brought the fever down. I did give her some more probios. I thought about giving her some b complex, but I dunno. I don't want to be giving her a bunch of junk if it's not necessary. And I want to keep a watchful eye and see if I can determin what is wrong.

Thanks again. although I'm stumped.

Sheryl

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Goats don't like to fight the herd for feed when they don't feel well. When mine are under the weather, I feed them off by themselves. Has this doe been vaccinated?

7. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

vacinated for???? CD/T? Not this year. I was going to do all my yearlings in a few days. ha ha. and of course my cd/t is toxiod not antitoxin.

Sheryl