HELP - Sick pregnant doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Just thought I'd share a couple links with you all (especially newbies ;)) that has information about kidding.

http://www.goats4h.com/Pigman.html

http://www.arkansasdairygoats.com/kiddingclues.htm

One of our first does due is being weird tonight. . . didn't eat hardy any of her hay, has stretched a few times today and we saw some mucus once, her udder is getting fuller (but has been over the past week or two), and her vulva today is really "flabby" and swollen...... so, we may have babies soon :biggrin! She's a Nubian that was bred to a Boer, but all the rest of my dairy does (we only have 1 boer doe) are bred to have mini kids. She's also an almost 2 yr old FF, so I am not sure what to expect with her (most my other does that I have had for a few kiddings have "patterns").

I'll let ya'll know when she kids!

Suriyah

2. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Well, at 6 am we checked on her and everything was fine (no babies yet too), but then an hour or two later we checked on her again and she has diarrhea now. There has been no change in feed or anything. So the only thing we are guessing is that she may go soon...... I just gave her some probiotics and nutri drench and hoping that she'll be fine. This morning she ate some of her hay and all of her alfalfa pellets.

Thanks,
    Suriyah

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Suriyah, Is it possible to take her temp ? post it if you can.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UM diarreah doesn't sound too good. yep would get a temp on her and make sure she is eating and drinking.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

If it is just mild diarrhea, couldn't it be because she is fixng to kid? Natures way of clearing out the colon and making room in the pelvis in some species.

6. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Her temp is 103. She's eating and drinking and acting fine.

Diana, I was thinking that too. . . that's why I didn't change the title of the post (someone else did, but it's fine with me that they did ;)). I have had does get soft stools before they kid but her's is just more "watery" than the does that have gotten soft stools before.

Thanks everyone though for the imput. . . I'll keep ya'll updated.

Suriyah

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Yes, please keep us posted :D

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I changed the title of your post. It sounded like your doe was going downhill quickly. Time is of the essence as she is pregnant.

Good luck,
    Sara

9. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Hey Sara, it's fine with me ;). Thanks for doing it!

Tonight she is still eating good and her diarrhea doesn't seem as bad. I don't have an exact due date on her. I wrote down February 6th for her but she was with the buck a few weeks or so before the feb. 6th due date. So, that's the thing I really don't like about pen breeding (but for some reason I am doing it again right now with one doe :/, but this is the only way I'll be able to breed her I think).... can't have an exact date unless you see the buck breed the doe.

Thanks everyone!
    Suriyah

10. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Just thought I would give an update. She has no more diarrhea and is eating good. Earlier today (Saturday) I just checked her with a few fingers and she didn't seem very open (but I am not very experience with that) and nothing smelled or felt odd. Then early this afternoon she had a small string of white mucus/discharge. She ate fine tonight again so I am just watching her.

Thanks,
    Suriyah

Waiting on Baby the first freshener....... here's a picture of her when she was a day or two old (almost 2yrs ago now, amazing!), http://www.goodgoats.net/Babyasakid.jpg

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Sounds like she's back on track .....hope all goes well.....send us some baby pics when they get here.
    Whim

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That sound better. When is she due?

13. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Yeah, I'll send baby pix, Whim.

Well, Sondra, I wrote down her due date for February 6th but she was with the buck a few weeks before I wrote that due date down. But we are guessing that she will probably just wait and go closer to the Feb. 6th due date. Her udder isn't full yet either.

Suriyah