Help please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, May 17, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

This morning while milking my FF I noticed that she had a scab about the size of a quarter on one side of her udder. She also has a small scab on the end oh her teat on the same side. I never thought much of that because she is nursing two kids and a lamb and they do have teeth. But this morning the coincidence bothered me after reading that post about gangrenous mastitis. I very well may be jumping the gun, but two sores on the same side, that teat is not as soft and 'floppy' feeling as the teat on the other side and it seems to bother her a little bit. When I touch it she will lift the leg on that side. She usually doesn't on the other. I never noticed this before because milking is a knock down drag out fight, but this morning, after noticing the other things, I tried just touching both teats and there was a different reaction. I don't know about temp, for some reason I don't have my thermometer in the barn with the rest of my stuff. Will go out and check that here in a bit.

Anyway, what are some other signs of GM? So far she milks well out of that side, usually it takes me a bit longer on that side than the other. I don't know if that means she has more on that side or I'm slow on that side. Doesn't seem to be in extreme pain. Both sides are pretty even to my eye.

And now, on to my other goat. I went out this morning and one eye is swollen. The eye itself appears fine, but there is swelling under it. Only a tiny bit of tearing. No swelling as of last night. Again, I don't know the temp yet. Anything dire I should be watching for?

:help

That was how my morning started, how's your's going? :sigh

Ok, temp on the first doe is 102.8
    Temp on the second doe is 103.8 and she's having cow pie poos

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

From my experience with sores on the udder it could be where she hit it on something or it might be staph also. When milking that side till you get it checked I would use a latex glove, just to be safe and seh might be a little more tender on that side if the babies are nursing the other side. Babies prefer 1 side to the other so they dont get kicked or run off. Might just be tender till she gets started and Ibet there is more milk on that side too.
    The doe with a swollen eye I would give her some baby benedryl to see if this would help with the swelling ...might be a bee sting or a bug bite and she is reacting to it...JMO
    Kathy

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If your doe is feeding a lamb, the sores are likely from that. When they are sore, they don't like to be touched much and will lift their leg that way. I have a La Mancha X doe with sores right now. She's feeding two aggressive kids and I'm sure another kid or two tries to latch on. It doesn't feel like staph, but I treat it similarly by cleaning with chlorhexadine. Kathie

4. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I know all three are nursing off of both sides. So I guess for now I should just watch everything close and see if it gets better or worse? I cleaned everything good this AM. Will try benedryl for the other one. Thanks so much!!!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

103.8 in my opinion is going on a high fever so there is infection somewhere and I would give benedyrl and high volume of Vit C check again the temp tonight and if not down or up any then antibiotics are in order. have you wormed the goats and with what.

6. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

How do you give vitamin C to a goat? Stuff a pill down her throat? Using human dosage? This is a big girl. She was wormed with cydectin on the 6th.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I want to give a vitamin or mineral pill to a goat, I get a handful of grain and put the pill in it. They swallow the pill when they get a mouthful of feed. Sort of like wrapping the dog's pill in a hot dog. Vitamin C is water soluable so you can't OD her. A human size dose for dealing witha cold should be good. Kathie

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I get a big jar of vitamin C from wallmart each year, grind it up in my food processor and when I feed it they get about a tablespoon over their grain. It also dissolves really eaisly in water. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well my girls will storm you to eat regular old VIT C out you your hand tho I keep the powder c from the health food store and when I say massive doses that is just what I mean I myself use 3000 mg to start off with and 1000 every hr when I feel sick or a cold coming on. I used the same on my human children when they were growing up. and I use the same for a sick goat tho I don't go out every hr to give it too them but will give them 5 or 6 500 mg tablets and then put some pd on their grain. when feeding them. like Vicki.