Help please..

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Got one definate problem and one possible:

1st: 2 year old Nubian doe bred to kid in May, got some grain last nite, not alot but did get some. This evening she has WATERY diarrhea, grinding teeth, noticed some tissue on her hiney...I know this is not good, what do I need to do for her..

2nd: How could you tell if a doe hasn't delivered her afterbirth? My 9 year old doe that kidded on Sunday, I didn't see any afterbirth but there was a lot of straw in her pen and she could have eaten. She still has fluidy pink discharge which in most cases is normal. No smell, no fever, eating fine, drinking fine. She seems kind of restless. She was still in her kidding pen inside while I milked this evening and she would lie down chew her cud and then get up and walk around, it was like she was impatient over something..

I know I worry but they are my babies:

TIA,
    Autumn

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

1. How much is "some" grain? What kind of grain - stuff we usually feed goats or chicken feed? If she's not used to grain and ate like a cup or two of goat grain, she should be fine. I'd give her a dose of Probios and be sure she has sodium bicarb available. Goats will sometimes get the runs to clear out of their system what they are not used to eating. If she's not used to grain and then ate like a couple of scoops worth I'd give the soda and bicarb and also give her C&D antitoxin.
    2. It's normal for does to eat their afterbirth. All three of mine that kidded so far this year have eaten theirs. Since she's not acting ill, I'm sure she's just fine. She's probably restless because she wants out of her stall. I don't pen mine up after kidding unless they have a problem. Miracle had her kids yesterday. She dug them a little hole in the corner of one of the goat houses for them to sleep in and spent the night outside with her herdmates. She's feeding them and everything, but I'm sure she'd be very restless in a stall. Kathie

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

1. The doe eat about quart of feed more than she is use to but the small amount of blood and tissue was alarming..

2. She had been outside with the rest of the herd but chose to go back to her stall yesterday but I made her go back outside after milking this evening, she is not happy at all about that beats up everyone that comes near her and looks at me like and you put me back out with these ingrates...shame on you.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Unless you see squatting and straining with nothing coming out on the older doe or after taking her temp each morning for a couple of days you find a spike in her temp I would just assume that she cleaned out fine.

The other one probably had too much grain (Did she get into it accidentally?) and will be o.k. after a couple of days. No more grain for a day or 2, just good hay and her alfalfa pellets. I would give her some probios a 2 inch strip of it a couple times a day for the next couple of days and put out some baking soda for her to lick on. A 2 year old doe that is bred to kid in May should only be getting a handful of grain a day right now, gradually increasing her grain intake up to about a pound and a half a day until her due date.

Was your doe dewormed prior to breeding? Was she given her Cd/T prior to breeding?

Where is the blood and tissue coming from? Her vagina or rectum?

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

2 year old doe was wormed and vaccinated before breeding. Blood and tissue from Rectum.

Thanks
    Autumn

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Wow, she must really have an irritated bowel. I would definitely go give her some probios a few times a day and no more grain for a couple of days, just hay and alfalfa pellets. Then start her back very slowly on the grain.

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Autumn, I had a doe with diarrhea so bad she stayed at the vets for 2 days. Parts of her intestine sluffed off. My vet said anytime there was much diarrhea that antibiotics need to be given. His drug of choice was pediactric erythromycin.. if I remember correctly. (the pink stuff) Said that would get directly to the problem if there was one and would help prevent any internal infection. Said to keep her off 'scratchy' things like beet pulp.. stuff like that.

Hopes she gets better.