Help please. Molly is having problems Pics added

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have been so busy trying to save Mollys last kid that I hadn't noticed she has not been drinking.
    She has a temp of 100.8. It is 39 degrees out right now.
    She is 13 years old and just kidded with premature twins.

What I have been doing for her...
    After kidding I gave her a pitcher of orange gator ade with electrolites mixed in like I give all my does. Most suck it right down. She lapped it like a dog and did dring about a quart in all.
    Then DH gave her a full bucket of water. That was day before yesterday.
    I gave her 30CC CMPK and wormed her.
    She had an antibiotic shot that evening as I went way into her to check for more kids.
    I gave her 30 cc Cmpk yesterday AM and again PM
    I gave her her second of 5 shots of antibiotic.
    She acts like she is still cramping and she stands hunched and squats often.
    She has the normal discharge after kidding. No bad smell.
    She has been eating just fine till last night.
    She worries so much about her kid that she does not eat well on the stand but she eats it in her stall just fine.
    Last nights feed was still there this morning.
    She again did not eat any grain on the stand this AM.
    I am getting ready to call the Vet but I wanted to hear from you first.
    Other topic but my Donkey is badly lame too and not getting better. I am getting discouraged about it all.

2. Corky

Corky New Member

Re: Help please. Molly is having problems

I forgot. I have given her some propalineGlycol paste too.
    the red stuff with vitamins in it.
    I don't know how much of that to give her. I have been giving it like probios, which she is also getting because of the antibiotic. About an inch at a time.

What else am I missing?

3. Corky

Corky New Member

Milt just took he more gatorade.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

More cmpk and get her warm some how with heat lamp / etc. If she is not drinking then lactated ringers. also antibiotics and some banamine for pain. if she seems in pain as she won't eat if in pain. Probios /B Complex but don't know what antibiotic your using may not be strong enough. I would call the vet too.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

try beet pulp even making a mush out of it with hot water
    Is she ruminating?

6. Corky

Corky New Member

She was chewing her cud but I don't know if she is this AM.

7. Corky

Corky New Member

I got in touch with my Vet. The good one.
    I told him what I am doing for her and he told me what I was dong is correct but I need to do more.
    He is sending lute, propyleneglycol,(I am using the wrong stuff.)
    Banamine and he told me to mix the propyleneglycol with nutra drench and give it to her that way.
    He also said that the preemie needs to be kept very warm and it got down to 39 last night so I put a sweater on her but she is not only walking now she is bouncing this morning.
    I put them outside in the sun as they both need to be warmer.
    The little stinker climbed into the tunnel which is about 6 inches off the ground.
    I had put them both into the hut as it is a white calf hut and is nice and warm in there but they both came right back out so that didn't work.
    They are now sleeping against the fence on the upper side of the pen.
    He of course told me what to do for the donkey too.
    I feel so much better.
    I just told him she was crashing and he says she is 13 this is what you do.
    I was doing most of it already. That is thanks to you all.

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Corky, the only other thing I would do is give her a shot of Banamine 1cc/100# IM as Sondra suggested and a 3cc shot of Vitamin B Complex SQ for a couple of days. I wouldn't be worried about her not eating her grain right now, but make sure she is eating her hay and alfalfa pellets and keep up the CMPK, injectable if you have it. Lactated Ringers sub Q if she isn't drinking. Try some warm water or.... this could be controversial, but you can try putting a little table salt in the warm water. You might have to take that baby off of her if she doesn't turn around for you in a day or so as she is pulling the calcium from Mama. Be careful about too much of that propolyne glycol. Probios Gel along with the antibiotics just like you're doing. I so wish you the best for the old lady.

9. Corky

Corky New Member

I gave her three squirts of nutra drench and 1 oz of propalyne.
    Lute and banamine. She is out in the sun and is acting really bucky with her two year old DD.
    Silly goat! She has finally left her kid in the calf house to soak up some heat and sleep away from all the others. They are all in the same pen now.
    Should I give her more prop. later or not?

Vet said twice a day but he did not say for how long.

10. Corky

Corky New Member

I did not give her b complex but I do have some.

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Is she eating her hay and alfalfa pellets and browse? If yes and she seems to have energy I wouldn't give her any more propolyne Glycol today. I would give her the Vit. B shot to help stimulate her appetite. Vet had you give Lutalyse, her hormones are kinda goofed up right now from kidding and from the lute. That is why she could be acting "bucky". The lute was a one time thing right? I would give her another shot of banamine this evening, but make sure she is in a warm place for the night. I would try to not put too much stuff in her rumen that could smother out the good bacteria. Be sure and keep giving her some probios throughout the day. If you have any yogurt or kefir to give her that would be good also.

12. Corky

Corky New Member

Vet did the lute because she is old and he said her insides do not go back in place like a younger doe.
    The lute dose was small and just to help her close back up properly.
    She is not eating anything at all right now and her temp was low this AM. Thats why the propolyne Glycol.
    He said to continue the CMPK till she is eating again too.

13. Corky

Corky New Member

There is no browse to speak of here yet.
    I will put her in the greener pasture for a little while this afternoon to see if she will eat and herbs. Anything to get her started.
    She has dont this the last two kiddings. I really thought we had beat it this time. She was doing great then BOOM!

14. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Corky I'ld put a sweater on her too with the udder area cut open so baby can nurse, if she's shivering at all. I hope Molly pulls through for you. What she needs is a couple bright sunny days to bask in that'ld help.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If you have a cedar tree go cut her a branch goats love that.

16. Corky

Corky New Member

I took her to the lower pasture and she ate that spring stuff with the purple blooms on it and the coarse grass that grows along the fences. I let them be out there with me with them of course for about an hour and then took them back into the barn.
    I cleaned out the smallest stall And scattered waste hay thinly on the floor and made the inside corner deep with straw.
    Little Stormy can't get her footing on straw.
    The reason I did this is the birthing stall is a big stall so I can set in there on a chair and observe without being in the does way.
    She is more familier with the big hay feeder that devides the first two stalls and I thought if I put her in more familier surroundings she might just eat. She was nuzzeling her grain but not eating and sniffing the hay but not eating it. I think she even smelled in the alfalfa feeder. Maybe later.

17. Rose

Rose New Member

If you have live oaks that haven't dropped their leaves, ours love those! We drive around and trim them on country roads!

18. Corky

Corky New Member

Well, she did not tough her supper either and I have not seen her drink but her temp was up to 102.8 at evening milking.

I am not milking her but I put her on the stand to eat and get her meds. I did not give her any propalyne tonight but did give her another dose of CMPK with two squirts of nutra drench and some more probios.
    She does love that stuff.
    I failed to give her an antibiotic shot tonight. I will give it to her in the morning. DANG IT!
    I am headed for a bedtime check now and then I am crashing myself.

19. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Good luck Corky ...I hope you doe is doing better this a.m. and she pulls thru for you...

20. Corky

Corky New Member

I gave her a B-complex shot this morning and her antibiotics and the last of the CMPK/Nutra-drench mixture. 30 CC. Oh yes, also Banamine again. She was still standing hunched over.
    Her feed dish was almost empty this morning and her water was down about half a bucket.
    She did not tough her feed on the stand but as soon as I put her back in the stall she ate it all! YAY!!!

The only bad thing is she was shivering.
    The baby was up nursing when I went into the barn.
    They are now out in the yard with everyone else playing in the sun.

It is supposed to be really cold tonight. I can't find a sweater to fit Molly but I will look again after all the company leaves today.

I put a clean sweatshirt sleeve on Stormy. It is red and she is black for now so she looks so cute.
    She has a lot of gray mixed in so I have no idea what she will end up looking like. She will not be Sundgau like she appears to be now.
    I am sure of that.