Help! No rennet...need chevre for tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Sunny Daze, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Well, I have about gotten myself in trouble. My sister's bridal shower is tomorrow and I told my mom I would make some chevre...some to go on crackers and some she wanted for a goat cheese/apple bruchetta she was going to make. Yesterday got my buttermilk culture going and planned on making the cheese today. Well....my does just freshened a few weeks ago and I haven't made any cheese since beginning of summer. I totally forgot my rennet was old and had thrown it out, thinking I would have pleanty of time to order more. Now what? Vinegar cheese really doesn't do it for me although I suppose I could just season it really well if I have to do that. I thought about making ricotta for the bruchetta maybe? Is there a way to make something yummy without rennet? Or will the junket tablets from the store work (haven't ever tried that). :help I have already been slacking on my Maid of Honorly duties due to kidding, trying to pack, rent out the house, work, and get ready to move to Maryland!

2. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I haven't used them, but I know others have made Chevre with the tablets from the store. I think it would be worth a try in a pinch.

Tiffany

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

well, i ended up making vinegar cheese...ah well. Need to make an order!!