Help needed with doe that had stillborn quads

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Feb 13, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

Bonnie's just standing around-- looks just like a doe that I had once that was hypocalcemic. I thought this might be a possibility since she had 4 babies draining her reserves, although I feed alfalfa pellets 3 pounds per doe per day and also occasionally feed alfalfa hay, . So I gave her 30 ml CMPK sub-q... about 40 minutes ago. she is rounded up in the rear, and every so often strains like she needs to pass something or pee.
    She doesn't have a discharge right now, but she did earlier. She is eating some hay and minerals,and drinking water. but did not eat the alfalfa pellets I offered. I'm thinking of getting some nUtridrench or offering some molasses water or something.
    I have oxytocin on hand, but not sure if her cervix is closed or what at this point. ( She aborted yesterday afternoon/evening)

SoI'm just watching and waiting to see what happens with the CMPK, the last time i treated I gave 60 ml per time... like every couple of hours. this dose was given to me by my cow Vet-- didn't know about the board yet, it seemed to help her out pretty quick.
    Anything i should be doing/not doing?
    Susie

2. susie

susie New Member

I've also noticed no cud chewing-- she's not improving so far-- did not eat much pellets just a little alfalfa earlier-- I'm going to head up to the Vet supply to get some Nutri-drench and see if any of the Vet's are around.
    Perhaps I should give her a vit b to stimulate her appetiite?/ Just fishing here.

Susie

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Maybe some old pro's will be able to help you in a bit.....I was really thinking that you was gonna have troubles with this doe in a day or two......something caused her to loose them kids, and it is now showing up in her. I was thinking an infection of some kind, but that is just guessing.
    Is she trembling ?
    What is her temp ?

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Did she pass two placentas? Is her discharge normal? And like everyone else, temp...low and yes it's hypocalcemia which after they kid is called milk fever, no fever at all it would be subnormal.

Watch her udder, is it too warm?
    And yes like Whim said, an infection that caused her abortion or an injury can then make her feel awful, take her temp, high temp and she may need antibiotics.

When we don't use vets, you have to become one, and you go through her with a fine tooth comb. Temp is always first. Vicki

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Banamine might be in order for pain.

Not to frighten you, but....Monday morning my Obie doe kidded, it was a very difficult birth- 12.2 buck and 9.5# doe. Both kids had to be pulled. The buck's head and front legs were wedged into the birth canal...OB lube and pulling he came out. When I got the buck out first, I went back to get the 2nd and something just didn't feel right. Got the doeling out and went to check for another kid. Same weird feeling. I started *sweeping* the uterus and my hand fell through a tear in the uterine wall just below the pelvic bone. UGH!!!! This is where logic vs sentiment (I dearly loved that doe.) comes in. I could have called a vet, opened her up and tried to repair the tear or had her spayed...but where it was at. Iffy. Not to mention the oil, plus the placenta fluids that had leaked into her abdomen-major infection. With the doe still straining and in pain, she was put down,immediately. I did a necropsy just to make absolutely sure I did the right thing. Yep, the abdomen was full of placenta fluids and oil, there was part of the placenta sticking through the tear. The tear started at the cervical opening and ran to the bottom of the uterus. I feel I did the best thing for the doe under the circumstances.

The chances of uterine tears with abortions is slim to none. The fetuses are just too small. Like everyone said...check the does temp to give you place to start. Check the temp before you give the the banamine.
    Kaye

7. susie

susie New Member

Temp is 106-- I had to go buy a new thermometer, I thought mine was broken-- nope-- so, duh, that 's not hypocalcemia.

I've got penicillin and banamine here- gonna go tape her so I have a semi- accurate weight--

penicillin is 3 cc/50 pounds right?? I think I might have amoxicillin and biomycin as other options-- I think penicillin will be ok as long as I give enough-- correct?
    Can't recall the banamine dose , have to look it up--

Susie

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Banamine= 1/10thcc per 10#'s or 1cc/100#.
    Kaye

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I am dealing with the same thing almost. FF aborted and her temp has been up and then way down...not wanting to eat or drink either...Been doing Boimycin each day and checking temp all day long to where she wants to run from me...I know how you feel. I even took her to the vet and they said if her temp spikes to call...lots of help there huh? I know you have your hands full cause I am doing the same...mine kept her temp yesterday at 102 all day and then today it dropped to 99 then up to 100 I hydrated her with ringers and gave her another Boimycin shot. So far so good Good luck with your doe...

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kathy have you given CMPK??

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yes I have given it but I am at a loss as to waht else to do ...just checked her a few minutes ago as I had to bring her in again, her temp is back to normal and she is eating but not wanting to drink very much at all so hydrated her again. What am I missing here...

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Try warm water. If she's still not interested add a little karo syrup. If the temp is back to normal and she's eating, it sounds like she's starting to respond to the antibiotics and Banamine.
    Kathie & Barb