Help needed now (pic added)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Apr 8, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ms Melissa just called ...says her doe is kidding.....head is out and no feet showing......slime is off and kid is taking light breaths......doe is up and down....walking around like she is not in stress or even trying to push the kid on out.......
    I've told her at this stage that the kid really cant be pushed back in or it will suffocate......and have basically told her that she will have to try to pull the kid like it is now, with feet backwards
    ....entire head is out......

Been going on about 12 minutes now.......

She'll be calling back in a minute....looking for advice......she's at the barn....so not able to get on here right now......

Help.....Whim

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Help needed now

Lay the doe down, have some sit on her shoulder to keep her down. Or clip her to the fence and go in after those legs. If she can't get her hand beside the neck to fish out the legs, than the doe can't deliver the chest with the legs back like this. With the doe under control, you can put the head back in, pull the legs forward, retrieve the head and bring it out. You just have to do it quickly. Vicki

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

OK ....she got some help to hold the doe....and has got the first one out.....I'm assuming both feet were backwards since she could never hook on to one of them...........another bubble showing now.......maybe this next one will come on out. says baby is sluggish ...but is still alive.....I told her to clean its mouth out good and rub em up..........

Thanks you guys.......Whim

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

OK.....it's a buck and it's up walking around now.......that bubble was about softball size....and it busted..........another bubble is starting to appear, and the doe is laying back down some........doe is licking baby....and took a bite of hay too........told Melissa to keep a watch on her for another nose to start showing......maybe we will get some feet to this time. Doe does not appear to sound in stress right now.

Whi

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sounds much better. :)

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I've delivered many kids with front feet back. Slathering all around head with lots of lube!

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

second bubble the size of a tennis ball.....says she thinks she can see about an inch of white hoof,,,,....no nose showing yet.....doe is getting up and down and laying on opposite sides......progression seems slow to me.....says doe doesn't seem to be pushing much at all......and if anything is acting very much normal in most ways........been about 30 minutes since this second bubble has starting appearing a lot.........how much longer should she wait before going in ??????
    I'll be calling her back in about 5 minutes from now.

Whim

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Give the doe some CMPK or Calcium Gluconate, it will help the labor to progress. If it is a hoof she's seeing, then have her use 2 fingers and go in to see if there's another hoof or nose and try to determine if it's front feet or hind feet.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Been too long with no progress go in and get the kids out!! CMPK is a must for this doe IMO now even after she is done but just nursing the kid.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

OK.....she's gonna try to go in....will try to update as soon as I know something....

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

OK.....not good news.....she had no luck pulling the kid.....even had vet on the phone with her trying to talk her through it.....no luck......she's headed to the vet office with the doe......I told her to call me when she got back.......maybe morning before I post an update..

Thanks for yaws help.......I personally was starting to feel helpless with this one.

Whim

12. Re: Help needed now

I sure hope everything is ok.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

DARN

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Sure hope the vet is a good one. :( That sure is worrisome news. Hope all turns out okay.

15. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I wish her the best of luck. Healthy baby, healthy doe.
    Anita

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Was hoping there was some news.

17. LMonty

LMonty New Member

me too :)

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Please folks, if you are standing around watching why not just stick your hand in and figure out what is going on? Did I not get my xray goggles that some of you got that you can stand over the doe and see presentation? Pulling a first kid with legs back is asking for a ripped cervic, lubing the head isn't going to do anything. If you can't get your hand in the doe beside the neck, how do you think shoulders will come through without ripping her? And if you have to pull a first kid, go in and retrieve the next kids also. Sometimes I feel like what we write on here just falls on deaf ears and never really makes a difference.

Hope all goes well Whim, nice of you helping her like this. Hopefully the vet isn't 'typical'. Vicki

19. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sorry....I tried to get back on here, but my net was down....and was still down this morning for a bit.

Melissa got to the vet, and he tried to pull the kid also with no luck at all.....finally did a c section to save the doe.........It was a dead buck kid. She says that it was a back leg that was showing in the bubble, and the other was straight foward.....rest of baby was in a tangled mess too, and it appears from what was said.....that only a c section was the only option left with this one.
    .....and Vicki, there was a slight tear somewhere,,,,but vet did a repair on it she says.

Vet sent doe back home to nurse her live kid, and Melissa says she's got a bunch of meds from the vet to give her for a few days.
    That's about all I know from here right now. I'm hoping that Melissa will come on here later and let us have some updates.....and if she does read this, I want to say that I'm so sorry that this first kidding for you did not go well at all....and us being on opposite sides of this state, I felt soooo useless to you.......I have found it so hard to see what's going on by trying to look through a telephone.
    I know that you are feeling like just quitting right now.....but don't quit. You, and your family seem to really enjoy your little goats.....and the rewards will always be way ahead of the troubles that you run into.
    My first kidding was a rough one too, and that same old doe tried to go to heaven again this year .....but we ain't quittin, and don't plan on it either. All in all, this is more fun than poking at a big ole wasp nest with a long cane pole......well, that ain't really that much fun, but it will sure teach you how to run fast.

If I get an update, I'll try to post it.

Thanks again for all the advice.......and to one exspecially in Tx....ole Rod is a lucky man.

Whim

20. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks for the update glad the vet saved that doe.