Help needed ASAP please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jen1204ca, May 25, 2010.

1. Jen1204ca

Jen1204ca New Member

Hi, I am new to goats and this is my first doe to kid. She had a single buck late Saturday afternoon. Since then her udder has been really hard. It has doubled in size since she kidded. Her teats are totally empty, flaccid and floppy. I can get a couple of drops out of each of them but then nothing else for a long time, atleast an hour.

I have been massaging her udder and it doesn't seem to be helping. I also put warm towels on it a couple of times and that also isn't doing anything. The kid has also been butting her a lot and trying to drink, but there is nothing in her. I have been bottle feeding him but leaving him with her.

I noticed at the very end of her teat where the milk comes out is a dark, dark gray, is this normal. It's a very small circle, not quite the size of this letter o.

Today, for the first time she seems to be off her feed but is still drinking and urinating. She also seems to be trembling today.

I am really worried about her and don't want to do the wrong thing for her.

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

What have you been feeding her? What has been her sourse of calcium?

Do you have CMPK or TUMs?

3. Feral Nature

Take her temp, it is most likely low.

4. billinohio

billinohio New Member

I do not consider myself to be an expert.........check her temperature.........it sounds like mastitis. It sounds like she needs to be on antibiotics.........and massaging the udder........it can be a long process......
    If it were me, I would be taking her to my vet's office ASAP.
    From my experience, once they go off feed, they are pretty sick, and they need to be "turned around" in short order.........or the downhill slope is very steep and slippery.
    Last year I had a goat that freshened with a severe mastitis.......and she was one that I was planning to sell once I got a doe kid oput of her. Well, she freshened with a single buck kid........and I took her to the auction. It was a "financial" decision........she was not one that I wanted to invest more money into.

5. Jen1204ca

Jen1204ca New Member

Hi, yes I have Tums. How many do I give to her? How often? How do I give them to her?

OK, I will take her temp. if it is low, what does that indicate?

6. Jen1204ca

Jen1204ca New Member

I forgot to answer that she is eating alfalfa and rolled oats.

7. Feral Nature

Jen, did you look at that article I posted? I will look up the tums thing, but just see if she will eat a bunch of them. Or crush them in something she likes such as peanut butter.

8. Feral Nature

Can you take a temp? If she has fever, it is not cured by TUMS.

9. Feral Nature

Fever= infection, perhaps mastitis

Below normal temp, trembling= possible hypocalcemia (see the link above)

In both cases there is udder involvement.

I have to go outside for a bit, will be back soon.

10. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Also please have your doe tested for CAE. Hard congested udders are common in CAE as well as with hypocalcemia and mastitis. Tam

11. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

That dark gray circle could be the plug at the end of the teat, which can be picked off, but if that was the only issue, the teats would be full of milk (it just wouldn't be able to get out). Vitamin C is helpful with a congested udder, as is peppermint (there is an udder cream that you can get that has peppermint oil in it). Still, the first step is going to be to get her temp and see what is going on. You can have a congested udder with no other issues, but you are more likely to have other issues that lead to the udder problem. Like everyone else has said, you'll need to rule out hypocalcemia, mastitis, CAE.

12. Jen1204ca

Jen1204ca New Member

Hi, just got in from chores with the other does and to put the baby to bed for his nap. The doe is still the same. Her temp is 99.8F
    Why does this have to be my first goat to kid? I have two others that I bought with bucks on them, and one of them dried up the second day I had ner, now this..... AAAGH!!

13. Candy

Candy Member

I am not an expert either but I think this sounds like milk fever. Low temp and trembling??? Am I right? Don't know the cure. LOok up milk fever in goatkeeping 101.

14. Dacaree

Dacaree New Member

You need to get some CMPK from your vet immediately or you will lose her. You can turn her around, but you will need to act fast.

15. Feral Nature

Milk fever is hypocalcemia.
    Make some home made CMPK but it would be better if you could find a nearby goat person or a vet, you may lose your doe.

16. Jen1204ca

Jen1204ca New Member

OK, I am going to the vets now. They don't have CMPK here in SK, Canada, but he said they have something similar that they have there for cattle but it is safe for does. How is it given and at what dose and frequency?

17. Feral Nature

Just now seeing this, I'm checking.

18. Feral Nature

19. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

Get her some CMPK right away. Hypocalcemia is very serious. I almost lost a doe to it before, but she turned out alright.