Help - my first bad kidding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by D Bar J Acres, Jan 25, 2008.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Please help me out. I'm posting this and then going to go back and search thru old posts.

Okay, first point, absolutly NO goat vets around here. Treat them like little cows, if they treat at all.

Freya is a 3 y.o. 3rd freshener Lamancha, a smaller doe, about 90-95 lbs. She came to me bred last year to a boer and had two big doelings that both presented head first, no legs, but I got that straightened out fairly easy (well, kinda).

This year I bred her to a nigerian buck, hoping for smaller kids for her and F1 mini manchas. She kidded today on day 149. We watched her all last night, no real labor, but digging many holes, staring into space, head pressing towards morning. Finally at 11:30 after reading a recent post on here, I washed up to see what was going on. She was dialated and there was a buckling there, head first again, but ready to come out, so fished his leg out and he slid out pretty easy. "Normal" sized kid from this cross I'd say. Went back in and felt another kid ready to come out the same way, so pushed him back - could feel he was much bigger - and when I pushed him back, his head slipped to the side and down. I had a he!! of a time getting him out and took me quite a bit of pushing and pulling to get his head back out. Finally got him out and he's big and healthy.

I really worked inside of her, I honestly don't know if I hurt her or not. it's been exactly an hour and a half since the last kid and she hasn't cleaned. Her udder is full and milk comes out easily. She didn't really ever have much for contractions, kinda the same as last year.

I can tell she's in a lot of pain, she's all "fluffed" up, and just stands there. I do have her inside my heated goat stall, so it's about 50 degrees there.

I gave her 1cc of banamine, 3cc B complex, 2 cc Bo-Se so far. Should I do oxytocin? Any antibiotic?

I'm guessing this doe, provided I didn't hurt her and she turns for the worse, should just be a pet?

Help, I'm so at a loss. I just love my nigerians and mini mancha girls who just plop out their kids and act like nothing happened. This girl really stresses me out! Help me get her better. I sure wish I had a mentor or a dang good vet around here!

2. Spicer Creek Goats

Spicer Creek Goats New Member

Don't know how much I can help---Has she passed her afterbirth yet? Does she have a temp? Has she drank warm water with molasses since she kidded? Let us know. Good Luck

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sorry you are having troubles. Are you sure there is not another kid in there? Did you go in after the last kid and search for legs or anything that felt like a kid? I do it now almost routinely in does I am suspicious of especially if they are exausted and don't or can't push anymore. I have only luted and given oxytocin to one doe in the past, I had to get it from the vet and after i gave it, i came back in the house, went back out to the pen adn still found no placenta and never knew if she expelled it and ate it or if it had already been passed and eaten prior to me luting her.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep check her good to make sure she doesn't have another kid in there. and MILK her that produces oxytocin of her own.
    Then I would flush her now while open with antibiotic flush put Prep H on her hinny and if she hasn't passed any placenta would thing oxytocin is in order.

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

CMPK may also be in order here. Weak labor is a sign of calcium deficiency. Give 30cc's warmed to body temp slowly in 3 or 4 locations.

Christy

6. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

I really felt around after I pulled the big kid out, felt all kinds of weird things I've never felt before (but I've never had to be this "forcefull" with any birthing animal before. But didn't feel any kids and I was 2/3 up my forearm in her.

I'm going to run back out and check as I had to come in and get cleaned up for the realtor that just came out to sign papers to list our home.

Oh, how does one flush and what to use?

Thanks

7. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Forgot to say that prior to kidding, Freya had her CDT and Bo-Se shots. She also had free choice 2nd crop alf/grass mix (14%) and about 1 pound of alfalfa pellets a day along with working her up to 1 pound of COB.

Okay, Freya did clean just now and is eating it, so I'll let her have at it.

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Glad Freya is doing well.

Question: Did you have your arm up the goat when the realtor came out? :rofl

9. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

haha, good one, nope, I was neked in the shower getting all the goat slime off me! : :blush

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Your first thought with this should always be calcium. You should have it out with you in your kidding kit. Keep up the banamine, it helps if it's about 20 minutes before milkout in the morning. I would go out and check her now that the placenta is gone, to make sure there is nothing else out there, especially since she was not pushing.

In Sue Reith's article, Getting that doe bred, she gives instructions for doing a uterine flush. Easy to do now with her cervic open, but it will not be for long. Vicki