Help me pick - Vet RX's

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Dec 15, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok after going through tons of information here, I have compiled a list of things I am going to ask my vet for. This will be my first kidding season and I want to be prepared as much as possible. Can you look over this and tell me what you think? What are the items that you would NOT be without, so if I have to compromise or he is unwilling to give them all.

Banamine
    Bo-se
    CMPK
    Dexamethasone
    Epinephrine
    Gentamycin
    Naxcel (powder)
    Nuflor
    Lutalyse - I think I can get this without rx?
    Oxytocin
    Thimine

Anything I have forgot?

Thanks,
    Shawna

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Lactated ringers.

Ask for Flunixamine, rather than Banamine. Generic version so less expensive.

3. Terry

Terry Member

Bo-Se
    Thiamin

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

Camille - I think I can get lactated ringers with out script? But ya I should just ask for them anyway to make sure I have them on hand. Thanks

5. wheytogosaanens

I don't know if they are an Rx item. I just know that I always have to get them from my vet, and I always have at least 4 on hand, just in case.

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok thank you! That helps a bunch

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

lactated ringers/ what I can get is called Normasol
    banamine/ my vet sells it to me by the 5 cc in red top tubes
    Bo-Se
    CMPK/ what I can get is called Norcalciphos
    Oxytocin
    C&D antitoxin ?? I've used this once, but know not everyone does

They did not want to give me thiamin originally so I've used the OTC high potency B from the coop.

Those are my very top picks of RX I don't want to be without.

I must say that after a year or so and a couple times of going in and talking in the office we are establishing a relationship that works for both of us.... YAY! I had to go through several to find this one though. :crazy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Most of this you only need red top vacutainer tubes for. Like gentamycin, banamine, lutelyse, oxytocin, bo-se, Dex, epi (in fact I just purchase a 3cc syringe of this), you are going to waste alot of money on drugs. Get enough to use, while you get more in an emergency when the vet office is open. Now your Naxcel, yes buy it onconstitued so you can mix it yourself, so yes you need the whole little vial worth, but I can't imgaine you needing both Naxcel and nuflor.

Then when you have to throw out expired drugs you haven't even opened sure is nice when it's $7 and not $50!

Lactaged ringers you can get from Hoeggers also.

Lets restate the CMPK injectable also, we are coming onto kidding season, nearly every emergency on the list will be in the form of some sort of pregnancy disease, without CMPK injectable, lactated ringers, oxytocin and propolyn glycol we will not be able to help you save your does. If you take a doe in hypocalcemia to the vet or ask for drugs then they will only treat her for ketosis, she will either die or they will abort the kids. Also any 300,000 unit pennicillin for does after delivery...tetracycline for uterine flush.

Once your kids are here, bo-se is a biggy, we will say 99 times out of 100 did you give the kid bo-se.

Please get your drugs on hand now for kidding season. Vicki

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

we have what I think is a great relationship with our vet...I can walk in and ask for (and get) any and everything on any list that I have seen...but they willNOT give me gentamycin!

whatever

but I will tell you this...if you get everything on your list you will be better off than many who have been in goats for years!

10. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thank you all for the input. I am trying to be prepared as I possibly can. Thus if something happens and I have an emergency and I have to call someone for help, then at least I have what I need on hand. I hate to say um I don't have that - and end up with a dead doe or kids due to my not getting what I should have. I have had horses for years, and was raised on a cattle ranch so I know that being prepared is half the battle. I don't want my girls to suffer for my negligence. And normally when you are prepared - you don't have to end up using anything :biggrin. I have been reading everything on the board and all the suggestions for things, so I try to take notes.

Again thank you everyone

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Meds I always have on hand: RX - Nuflor, Banamine, Thiamin, Norcalciphos (same as injectable CMPK), oxytocin, liquid sulfa, BoSe. Non RX - Biomycin, PennG, propylene glycol, oral CMPK, B complex, C&D antitoxin, probios, Diarsanyl. I live 30 miles from the nearest vet or feed store and need to keep on hand things I may need in an emergency. Other things like vaccines and wormers I buy as neded. Kathie

12. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I second the biomycin. An oxytetracycline that doesnt sting.

13. shawhee

shawhee Member

Re: Help me pick - Vet RX's - Update

Update - Ok I was able to get

Thiamine Injection 200 mg/mL, 100 mL (Vitamin B1)
    Selenium & Vitamin E Injectable 1 mg/mL, 100 mL (Bo-Se®)
    Naxcel® Suspension, 1 Gram(B - each) @ $38.00
    Epinephrine Injection 1:1000, 30 mL (non-refrigerated)
    Cal-Phos #2 with Potassium Injection (CMPK), 500mL

Will try to get these is red top tubes:
    Flunixemine/Banamine
    Dexamthasone
    Oxytocin

Then these I can just order directly from Jeffers or someplace:
    Biomycin
    Propylene Glycol

Should that cover most things???

Thanks again everyone

14. wheytogosaanens

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but really try to get some lactated ringers. When you have a goat go down, they can be real life savers. Plus, it is what you need to dilute the biomyicin if you need to do a uterine flush. Camille

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Not a good idea. I only (and was told to only) use sterile water OR saline, in uterine flushes.
    You do what you want...but, I'd rather use what is recommended to use in flushes.
    Kaye

16. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I agree with Kaye - use only STERILE water or saline for uterine flushes!!!

17. shawhee

shawhee Member

Yes lactated ringers are on my list - just not a script item (although the prop G and the biomycin are not either)

Thanks,
    Shawna

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Looks good to me.
    I would pick up a double pack of fleet enema (or generic equiv.) at Wal-Mart next time you go. They're handy to have stuck in a pantry or med. cabinet.
    I've even given them orally, to down does, to raise the potassium.
    Kaye

19. wheytogosaanens

Kaye,

My vet used the lactated ringers the first time that we ever had to have a doe flushed, so I just went with what she did. My good friend (who was a vet tech at that time for a different vet) came over to help with the second flush (the doe had a kid with a wry neck that had to be surgically removed piece by piece, so we had to flush several times) also said to use the lactated ringers.

Now the original vet was a Mobile Vet and might not have had Saline solution in her truck for the flush - I don't know.

I don't have a problem being corrected or doing something a better way. I am curious why the lactated ringers is a bad choice? Is it because it has extra ingredients that are unnecessary? Or is there something in it that is harmful to the goat?

Thanks, Camille

20. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I wasn't correcting. Everyone has their own way of doing things and even some vets use whatever is handy and the cheapest. I'm just saying that to use the LRS in this manner could back fire on you. And as we all know...it would be your best doe that you REALLY want to clean up and get bred. :/

It's all the extra that are in LRS. Besides the calcium being a bit caustic, you have to consider what some of the ingredients in LRS can do to the antibiotic used. Try mixing Naxcel with distilled water or LRS. You get a thick crystalized medication. In my opinion-I wouldn't inject it into an animal.
    Kaye