HELP me I don't want to lose this baby.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

6:00 a.m. Boer doe hollered and I heard kids. Went running outside in 35 degree weather and she had 2 beautiful doelings. One is HUGE. I'll weigh her later. Has to be 10-12 pounds at least. The other maybe 6-7 pounds, probably came last, mama probably ignored her pretty much while she was doting over the first huge baby. She was ice cold. I thought she was dead. I picked her up to see what sex she was and layed her to the side and then I heard this feeble little tiny cry. Other doeling was doing fine almost ready to stand up and I grabbed weak one and some towels and rushed her into the house. Started warming her up, went and milked mama and have tubed her twice with 1 1/2 ounces the first time and 2 ounces the second time with her Mama's colostrum (which was SOO thick I had to thin it a little with goat milk to get it to go through the feeding tube) I put about 1/2 tsp of baking soda in the first one and I gave her a 1/4 cc shot of Bo Se. Her Dam had a 3cc shot of Bo Se about 5 days ago. Baby just will not warm up. I have her wrapped in a warm towel, have rubbed and stimulated her all morning, is in the living room with the HOT wood heater blowing like crazy. She just seems lethargic. I might hear a little congestion. When I got out there the sack was broken on her head, but was still in tact around the rest of her little body. So sum it up all she has had so far is:
    tubed twice..........total of a little over 3 oz. of her Mama's colostrom
    had a 1/2 ts. of baking soda in the first tubing
    1/4 cc of BoSe given sub q

These 2 are out of a full blood boer doe and first kids out of Conan. They are beautiful, traditional colored with dark red heads. Beautiful little does. Anything else I can do to get her warmed up and get her blood pumping. Am I giving her enough of that colostrom when I tube? All ideas appreciated.

2. coso

coso Guest

Do you have a heating pad you could wrap her in a while, like people use for there back? Either that or I guess you could put her in warm water to get her body temp up but then you would have the chill factor when you had to pull her out. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

If it were mine, I would try cayenne pepper. If you just have the powder it should help, just mix it with some water or something. We have tincture we use here. It will get the blood to flowing, and it's quite warming. And if you need it (people anyway) it doesn't really taste hot either.

Unless there is some reason a baby goat shouldn't have it. I can't think of any.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would give her more warm colostrum.

To warm her up:
    heating pad covered with a towel (make sure she can get off of it if she wants)
    hair dryer
    warm towels from the dryer

We have kids born in cold temps all of the time. Get them warm and get them fed. Good luck.

Sara

5. Goodluck with her. :)

I was going to suggest a heating pad but they beat me to it. lol.

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Sara how much more warm colostrom do you think I should tube her this time. Last time was almost 2 hours ago and she got 2 ounces then. Think I should put any more baking soda in it or just the warm colostrom? No heating pad, but I can do warm towels from the dryer. She is in a rubbermaid tote with a rug in it and wrapped in a towel sitting in the living room where it is flat hot in there. DH built a red hot roaring fire in that wood stove.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What's her temp Chris?

My first priority would be to get her warmed up. Do you have a blow dryer? That works so well for us and I always dry off/warm up our kids that way (our babies are born in very frigid temps). Often times once they get warm they get an appetite. If not, you'll have to keep tubing her.

A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel also works well for helping them maintain their body temp.

Sara

8. I had a doeling from last year, also found her ice cold. Kept blow drying, warm towels, heating pad... FINALLY, just loaded the dryer with towels, would turn it on, get the towels toasty, turn it off, make a nest in the center of the towels (still in the dryer) put her in, just her nose uncovered, closed the door to just a crack. When the towels, cooled off (it took quite a while) I'd take her out, tube her some more warm colostrum, while the dryer reheated. Took most of the afternoon, but she finally got where she could hold her own body temp...
    good luck with her.. it's always hard to have a baby that is struggling, worse when it's a much awaited doeling
    susie, mo ozarks

9. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

THis something I do here and it seems to work every time is adding hot straight black coffee to their colostrum. I have only had to do this a few times since I have been doing goats but it works.
    Ok now everyone can yell at me.

Autumn

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If she were a normal kid she would get at least 6 ounces with each feeding, but if she is cold it is just sitting in there, not keeping her warm. I always do subq fluids because she will dehydrate. Warm the lactated ringers up to 102, then put it under her skin. If you can hit a vein you can also do it this way.

I use a hot water bath and then blow dry and I also use the dryer, heated towles etc. I give E orally, do a baby supository and like you did give a bo-se shot. I give dabs of Probios orally. But I don't tube until they are warm, I give subq fluids until they are warm...over 100 rectally.

The rest is up to her.

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Warmed some towels in the dryer, she is dried off already, got her wrapped up in those sitting in front of the heater. The heater has a blower on it, top and bottom so it is blowing straight into the rubbermaid tote. Tubed her with 2 more oz of warm colostrom. I have also given hot strong coffee before, but I did get yelled at about it :blush2 so I held off this time. Though I have had good results before, I guess that was what helped. I also gave her 1/4 cc Dexamethasone IM to help with lung function. O.k. now you can yell at me if I shouldn't have done that, but somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking I have read on here that was a good thing if you think they could have aspirated fluid. I am definitely hearing rattling and congestion. Hope I didn't hurt anything by doing that. She seemed a little more alert and actually disliked me sticking the tube down her throat. So YEA :biggrin.... a very cautious yea since she is still lethargic and floppy, but yea anyway.

12. Cotton Eyed Does

I do have LRS and the only E I have is a gel caplet that has a mixture of vitamin C and E in it. Her temperature is so cold it wasn't even registering and still isn't on a regular basil thermometer. My digital thermometer is not working. I haven't used the thing probably 3 times in the last year and it says "E" which means some kind of error. Battery probably isn't any good. My regular thermometer starts at 94.6 I think. It is WAY down below that. I used the hair dryer for a while and then just sat her on the towel in front of the blower on the heater. She is peeing. Has peed twice. And seems a little more alert, actually baaa'd a couple of times a minute ago. Hope she is starting to warm up.

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I just get the 400 IU E's at wallmart, snip the end and give, C wouldn't hurt her.

I don't use dex unless I know she is premie. I would put her on Tylan 50 for rattles. It's an old fashion thing :) but when kids would rattle after kidding we would give them 1/2 cc subq. Just the one shot unless it continued then they would get the whole series. Probably not a lick of sense in it, but I do purchase a new bottle of Tylan 50 each year :)

I of course don't do baking soda or coffee because you want colostrum and then her milk orally, not fluff LOL!!! Vicki

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Christine it does not good to tube her until you get the body temp up she can't process the colostrum or the milk so get her body temp up one way or another first. she wouldn't need BS this early in the game. I have saved many a rabbit and a goat by putting them in very warm water up to thier neck put them in a plastic bag first and if it is nearly hot to your wrist get them in it. then use a hair dryer to finish up to correct body temp and then the tube feeding.

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Christine...

This reminds me so much of Franny. I found her essentially dead in the sac. I ran with her into the house unconscious. I do not know how long she had been laying out there with Perceverance happily taking care of the first two doelings. I warmed franny up with a hair dryer for 5 hours straight as i could not get her to maintain a temp or wake up. I would only turn hairdry off to keep in from burning up and then turn it back on. I put heat on in the house on a hot day and layed her on a floor vent. Franny was limp as a noodle and was lifeless for 5 hours and then too weak to stand.

She did not get colostrum for 12 hours as she was born early afternoon and it was 2 am theat Billy fionally got her to take the bottle. We gave no meds, only warm colostrum. I was a majic moment when she took the bottle..

So I have hope for your doeling. Franny is a mean ol' witch now.

16. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

After drying lambs that are cold off with a hair dryer I wrap them up in an electric blanket and they seem to perk up.

Rebecca

17. Cotton Eyed Does

Her temp is up to 97 degrees and she is holding her head up for a brief time, fought me like a little tiger when I tried to tube her again a few minutes ago. I tubed 2 more ounces of colostrom in her. I have been trying to get her to take a bottle, but she won't take it. Maybe after she gets her full temp up and has more energy. She is moving around a little bit, but is still floppy. Is happily sleeping since she has something in her tummy and is in front of the blower on the heater. We only have the wood heater in the living room and the wood cookstove in the kitchen for heat and it gets cold downstairs at night so Guess she will have to sleep between Mama and Papa tonight. We had a lamb sleep with us for a couple months one time. Was a good little warm back log and never once pottied in the bed. Oh gee... just what I need a house goat. I would love to take her out to her Mama to sniff and interact with, but I don't want to lose any ground on getting her body temp up.
    I need to get a heating pad. Do they make an electric "throw", something that is not as big as a big electric blanket?

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sounds good if she is getting feisty. I would let her stay in the house until she can maintain temp. it is a beautiful day out but just chilly enough to cool down babies. Keep up the good work...I will be thinking of you with a goat in the house...a Boer at that. At least it is a doeling :lol

19. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

When I have brought in chilled kids I usually wrap them up and hold them against me. Wool will hold in the heat.
    They sit in our laps or between our sweater and our shirt wrapped up.
    We've tubed in the past to get them warmed up and it has worked for us.
    We took turns holding a wrapped up chilled kid with the first kid I ever tubed. He was over 24 hours old and had been fine. It was January and I went out to the goat pen to check and he appeared dead. Not quite, but close. He pulled through just fine but it was touch and go.
    I don't ever give up until I have no other choice...lol
    It sounds like she is improving.

20. Cotton Eyed Does

Thanks. I guess I'll try to tape a diaper on her tonight... just in case. :lol